Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And here we are with my first real question on the forum :grin:
i've been having a bit of trouble with the AIT sensor on my '17.
The "Check Engine Light" (CEL) turned on while riding a couple of days ago, so i brought the bike in for a check and turns out the error reported by the ECU is about a faulty reading off the "Air Intake Temperature" (AIT) sensor.
After clearing the error once, the CEL came back on after a couple of hours riding and i've noticed something this time around:
I switched my dash to show the AIT reading instead of coolant temp (press RESET once to switch between the 2 - C for coolant temp and A for Air temp) and the reading was correct for a couple of minutes, then jumped to "-9" for a few seconds before reading correctly again.

With this detail i brought the bike back in the shop to have the error checked again and indeed it turned out to be the same as before, i've also explained the temp reading behavior to the tech guy and i'll have to bring the bike in for a couple of days for them to get to the sensor and test / replace it. Meanwhile though i've been riding a couple of days to and off work (about 50-ish Km a day) in the colder temps of the morning, heavy traffic and warmer temps in the afternoon, so far the light hasn't come on again.
Could it be something somewhat obstructing the sensor causing faulty readings?
IIRC the sensor is placed right behind the air intake, before the instruments cluster so something probably has / will get through there at some point.
Also, are there any tests or possible solutions i could try? Like compressed air to clean the sensor, check cable contact and the likes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
tell them to use the software and run a live data session maybe they call it a snapshot. I never got to play with yamaha's new diagnostic tool but on kawasaki and suzuki I could tape the device to the bike and take it for a ride and let it record the data so I could see what the ecu and data streams were doing. that way I could pinpoint any irregularities in the data that causes the problems.
your bike is capable of this as long as they have the new diagnostic stuff from yamaha which they should if they're a yamaha dealer.

this stuff was very helpful for me as a tech. it also helped me calm new owners down after they though their bikes were running too hot etc. I could show them on the laptop what the temps were in live time as the bike was running that it was not overheating. since some new bikes don't show you the temp it's just bars on a lcd display.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I'll try to get them to do it if it comes on again.
For now all i did was remove the sensor, clean it up with some contacts spray (on the contact part) and a slightly humid rag for the rest.
It has been a week and no CEL so far

1 - 3 of 3 Posts