Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking forward to riding my r6 from IL to Houston, TX (one way trip). I've done a 3 hour trip before on the bike. I think I can do 18 hours if I get enough sleep. I was wondering if anyone took the same or similar road trip, and if there is a gas station no more than 140 miles apart? Do any of you have a tank bag or a tail bag? Any areas/stops to avoid?

·
R6 noob
49 Posts
Ouch my back started feelin it after only 2 hours of riding can't imagine 18hrs. Just be prepared for a few pit stops for stretching and getting some fresh air and FOOD!! Ensure your bike is running in tip top shape ie fluids, tires, etc. Ensure you have some sort of rain protection readily available just in case you get caught up in something fierce. And just remember if you're feeling tired pull over and take a break. Good luck in your journey and happy riding!

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
I think id rather get hit by a semi then go 18 hour on a sportbike. After about 2.5 hours my neck/shoulders and back get sore. But im also out of shape and ridiculously tall

·
wat?
722 Posts
Last time I did a really long day ride on an R6, I put the passenger pegs down and hooked my feet over the top of them while laying chest flat on the tank. Took all the weight off my wrists, stretched out my back, and reduced wind buffeting.

I'm not going to pretend it's the safest way to travel, but if the road is empty and no traffic, then it's at least a decent way to stretch your back.

·
2007 R6
915 Posts
I did 300 miles yesterday and I'm still sore today.

I would say if you're going to ride highway/interstate the whole way, it will really wear you down quicker. However, you know there will be plenty of gas/food stops so you can stop and rehydrate both you and the bike.

Good luck and take lots of photos if you do it.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I've done it. Be prepared for lots of gas stops, 4.5 gal tank sucks for long distance. Lots of fluids and good meals the day before. If you get real tired stop, its easy to lay on the tank and doze off lol. Earplugs are a must. Depending on your fitness and bp its not that bad.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Good luck! I can only last about 2-3 hours of riding before I'm sore as hell, but my back sucks as it is.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last time I did a really long day ride on an R6, I put the passenger pegs down and hooked my feet over the top of them while laying chest flat on the tank. Took all the weight off my wrists, stretched out my back, and reduced wind buffeting.

I'm not going to pretend it's the safest way to travel, but if the road is empty and no traffic, then it's at least a decent way to stretch your back.
I will have to try that

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done it. Be prepared for lots of gas stops, 4.5 gal tank sucks for long distance. Lots of fluids and good meals the day before. If you get real tired stop, its easy to lay on the tank and doze off lol. Earplugs are a must. Depending on your fitness and bp its not that bad.
Earplugs for sure, I have passed out on my gas tank before a little tipsy lol

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have my mind set on doing it I will try to get a gopro if not I will take as many pics as I can :cheers

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I did a similar ride. St louis to Dallas. Not as far, but I can tell you I have no desire to do that shit ever again.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
I did 5 hours once, that included stopping a ton and i wanted to ditch the bike in the woods and hitch a ride home. Obviously i didnt but i did not touch the bike for a few days after i got home!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do it, a small break every gas stop and it will be fine. Don't let the pansies who can't handle two hours on a bike discourage you. Think of it as an adventure.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I'm looking forward to riding my r6 from IL to Houston, TX (one way trip). I've done a 3 hour trip before on the bike. I think I can do 18 hours if I get enough sleep. I was wondering if anyone took the same or similar road trip, and if there is a gas station no more than 140 miles apart? Do any of you have a tank bag or a tail bag? Any areas/stops to avoid?
Over how many days? 18 hours in 2 days should be do-able, but pretty painful. 3 days should make it pretty reasonable.

Get a tail bag or saddle bags. Don't wear a backpack. Your back will be very unhappy after a few hours.

·
Now killing threads!!!
339 Posts
I did Dallas, TX, to Charlotte, NC, in one day. 17 hours in a car translated to approximately 20 hours with fuel, food, and stretch stops. I stopped every 100-120 miles just to ensure the tank was full.

My back wasn't too bad, but I had a palm throttle lever (recommended to keep your grip loose and comfortable). Also, definitely get some earplugs. Pro-tip: strap your backpack to the passenger seat to keep the stress off your back, and try to keep your back straight; otherwise you'll be in pain.

My friends won't do it, either. But it's something you'll remember for years to come. Bring layers if traveling through higher altitudes, and nice rain gear. When it's pouring, you'll be incredibly glad you did.

Waterproof bags are great, too. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

Edit: Along with fluids, keep your chain lubed. Bringing an extra small can can't hurt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's rough. I've down 7 hours before and my biggest complaint was my ass and my throttle hand. Try to invest in some sort of throttle lock or something where you can relieve the pressure on your right hand. My hurt for days after I was done.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did Dallas, TX, to Charlotte, NC, in one day. 17 hours in a car translated to approximately 20 hours with fuel, food, and stretch stops. I stopped every 100-120 miles just to ensure the tank was full.

My back wasn't too bad, but I had a palm throttle lever (recommended to keep your grip loose and comfortable). Also, definitely get some earplugs. Pro-tip: strap your backpack to the passenger seat to keep the stress off your back, and try to keep your back straight; otherwise you'll be in pain.

My friends won't do it, either. But it's something you'll remember for years to come. Bring layers if traveling through higher altitudes, and nice rain gear. When it's pouring, you'll be incredibly glad you did.

Waterproof bags are great, too. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

Edit: Along with fluids, keep your chain lubed. Bringing an extra small can can't hurt.
chain lube for sure, already got some rain gear from good ol' wal mart. Do you a pic of the palm throttle? I got to look into that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably should soften the dampening on front forks too

1 - 20 of 28 Posts