Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Yes, I ride my R6.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm picking up an '03 R6 this weekend. It needs some new rubber, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking into. It's currently got a 190 tire in the back, although I've heard that it's not necessarily a great idea to run that width on a 600cc bike.

This is my first street bike, so forgive my ignorance if this has been covered a million times before. I just didn't really know how to search for something like this. Any thoughts / insight / opinions are greatly appreciated!

-Garrett

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
I run a 190 rear on my 03. As a newb, u won't really notice a difference. 2 cents!

·
Yes, I ride my R6.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Most 190's are made for a 6 inch wide rim. When you put one on the R6's 5.5 inch rim, the tire bows up and gets taller than it's supposed to be. This pitches the bike forward significantly.

I don't know how you wouldn't notice it. The bike will feel heavier when you goto turn. The right way to do it is to raise the front of the bike the difference that the rear is being raised.

·
Yes, I ride my R6.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most 190's are made for a 6 inch wide rim. When you put one on the R6's 5.5 inch rim, the tire bows up and gets taller than it's supposed to be. This pitches the bike forward significantly.

I don't know how you wouldn't notice it. The bike will feel heavier when you goto turn. The right way to do it is to raise the front of the bike the difference that the rear is being raised.
Ok, this makes sense. I thought 190's were intended for liter bikes, generally speaking. I just didn't know if one had any significant performance benefit [or downfall, for that matter] over the other on a 600. Thanks for the info, Chief.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Ok, this makes sense. I thought 190's were intended for liter bikes, generally speaking. I just didn't know if one had any significant performance benefit [or downfall, for that matter] over the other on a 600. Thanks for the info, Chief.
:cheers

Some people love and prefer the 190! In AMA they run a 190. It is actually designed for the 5.5 inch rim so it doesn't bow out like that. Some 190's are made for 5.5 inch rims. Manufacturers will provide that info.

There's nothing wrong with running one. U should set the bike up properly for it if u choose to go that route. It can be a 5 mm height difference. That's something u should notice. 1 mm here or there is less noticeable to the average rider.

So whatever u end up with, just make sure u do the research and make the needed changes.

To provide u an example. Carlos on here runs with me at the track. He always ran a 190 and LOVES it. Switched to a 180 and didn't make the changes needed. Bike started running wide on him despite his efforts. After inning into the grass 3 times he adjusted his ride height and has recently bested his personal fastest lap times. He will switch back to a 190 soon.

I get no less traction than he does with a 180, but I prefer a 180!

·
Yes, I ride my R6.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This debate will, and has been going on for years. :lmao
I figured as much. Please forgive my ignorance.

Some people love and prefer the 190! In AMA they run a 190. It is actually designed for the 5.5 inch rim so it doesn't bow out like that. Some 190's are made for 5.5 inch rims. Manufacturers will provide that info.

There's nothing wrong with running one. U should set the bike up properly for it if u choose to go that route. It can be a 5 mm height difference. That's something u should notice. 1 mm here or there is less noticeable to the average rider.

So whatever u end up with, just make sure u do the research and make the needed changes.

To provide u an example. Carlos on here runs with me at the track. He always ran a 190 and LOVES it. Switched to a 180 and didn't make the changes needed. Bike started running wide on him despite his efforts. After inning into the grass 3 times he adjusted his ride height and has recently bested his personal fastest lap times. He will switch back to a 190 soon.

I get no less traction than he does with a 180, but I prefer a 180!
Thanks again! I'm going to keep the 190 for a while, just to see how I like it. I'm not sure that the ride height has been adjusted accordingly yet, so I'll make sure that I do that before anything else.

As you said though, differences in traction are probably minimal, so at that point I guess it's just personal preference. Regardless, though, I'll make sure that I adjust my ride height based on the size tire that I end up running. Since this is my first street bike, it's going to be more daily / recreational use with some spirited runs every once and a while, so I'm not looking for a good track tire right now. Maybe a few years down the road :YEA

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
I figured as much. Please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks again! I'm going to keep the 190 for a while, just to see how I like it. I'm not sure that the ride height has been adjusted accordingly yet, so I'll make sure that I do that before anything else.

As you said though, differences in traction are probably minimal, so at that point I guess it's just personal preference. Regardless, though, I'll make sure that I adjust my ride height based on the size tire that I end up running. Since this is my first street bike, it's going to be more daily / recreational use with some spirited runs every once and a while, so I'm not looking for a good track tire right now. Maybe a few years down the road :YEA
:werd

AMA runs 190 because DUNLOP's 190 is like a 180 (race tires). Notice they don't make 180 nTecs? That's cause they make 190s and 200s. I've run 180 and 190 and prefer the 180

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
In what aspect? Cause when I measured the tread are on a 180 pirelli vs the 190 dunlop 211, the 211 had .5 inch of additional tread area than the 180. :fact

Circumference was about the same on the two tires.

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts

In what aspect? Cause when I measured the tread are on a 180 pirelli vs the 190 dunlop 211, the 211 had .5 inch of additional tread area than the 180. :fact

Circumference was about the same on the two tires.
The 180 Pirelli is made for a 5.5" rim and so is the 190 Dunlop. This can turn into a pissing match but in the CMRA, Pirelli takes the most wins and total podiums.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
The 180 Pirelli is made for a 5.5" rim and so is the 190 Dunlop. This can turn into a pissing match but in the CMRA, Pirelli takes the most wins and total podiums.

I don't see how it could. We aren't debating anything at all, and nobody is asking which one is better. I'm just tryin to get some more info since u race and I'm just starting too!

I was wondering what aspects of the 180 & 190 are the same! Tire height is the same about. But the tread is a lot wider. The weight difference is something I'm not sure of.

I'm curious like a cat!

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
Well if the 180 Pirelli is made for a 5.5" rim and so is the 190, i assume that the bead is made a certain way for each tire and make a certain profile. Maybe the Dunlop is technically wider but if it's taller it will still fit on the same rim. Does that make sense?

Pirelli - 180/60 (tall because of higher sidewall)
Dunlop - 190/55 (tall because of profile)

I'm just assuming what's above. I am making a well educated guess

The Pirelli also has a more flexible carcass. The carcass will flatten out the side when leaned over. The Dunlop has a rather hard carcass (especially the front) and a lot of people don't like it because it generally has no feel while the Pirelli actually flexes (commonly mistaken for slipping). So at full lean angle you actually have the same (if not more) contact patch than the Dunlop.

So all in all, idk why Dunlop doesn't make a 180... All I know is they compare the 190 to 180s of other brands

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Well if the 180 Pirelli is made for a 5.5" rim and so is the 190, i assume that the bead is made a certain way for each tire and make a certain profile. Maybe the Dunlop is technically wider but if it's taller it will still fit on the same rim. Does that make sense?

Pirelli - 180/60 (tall because of higher sidewall)
Dunlop - 190/55 (tall because of profile)

I'm just assuming what's above. I am making a well educated guess

The Pirelli also has a more flexible carcass. The carcass will flatten out the side when leaned over. The Dunlop has a rather hard carcass (especially the front) and a lot of people don't like it because it generally has no feel while the Pirelli actually flexes (commonly mistaken for slipping). So at full lean angle you actually have the same (if not more) contact patch than the Dunlop.

So all in all, idk why Dunlop doesn't make a 180... All I know is they compare the 190 to 180s of other brands

Thanks for the info bro. The 190 dunlop is actually about the same height as the 180/55 pirelli. It's a negligable difference. I measure the circumference on them.

The carcass difference is the MAIN reason I stuck with Pirelli. :fact coming off track day slicks to a D211 woulda been too much a change for me, so I opted for the softer carcass cause it's almost an in between tire in regards to carcass softness. U can sit on a D211 and not crush it! :eek5

Thanks so much for the info and feedback! I am that much happier I stuck with Pirelli! DSC's FTW!!!!! :flex:

·
Yes, I ride my R6.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, well from what I've gathered thus far, I'll definitely be going with Pirelli. I think I'll be good with the 190 width, especially if that particular tire squats well in corners [I'm assuming it's a good thing to have more contact surface when turning? Please correct me if I'm wrong] so that sounds like the way to go for my particular application. Lots of useful info in this thread though, thanks fellas :cool:

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts

Thanks for the info bro. The 190 dunlop is actually about the same height as the 180/55 pirelli. It's a negligable difference. I measure the circumference on them.

The carcass difference is the MAIN reason I stuck with Pirelli. :fact coming off track day slicks to a D211 woulda been too much a change for me, so I opted for the softer carcass cause it's almost an in between tire in regards to carcass softness. U can sit on a D211 and not crush it! :eek5

Thanks so much for the info and feedback! I am that much happier I stuck with Pirelli! DSC's FTW!!!!! :flex:
Yep. I race on the sc1 (blue) and track days on the sc2 (medium)

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
Okay, well from what I've gathered thus far, I'll definitely be going with Pirelli. I think I'll be good with the 190 width, especially if that particular tire squats well in corners [I'm assuming it's a good thing to have more contact surface when turning? Please correct me if I'm wrong] so that sounds like the way to go for my particular application. Lots of useful info in this thread though, thanks fellas :cool:
These are race/track tires we are talking about. WAY different than street. If you get Dunlop race tires get 190. Pirelli get 180. If you are getting any street tires get a 180. No need in the 190

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Yep. I race on the sc1 (blue) and track days on the sc2 (medium)

Perfect. Have u ever run blue front and green rear? I hear it's a sick setup. I've got sc2's front and rear for track days.

OP, the tires we are discussing are race DOT tires. They are Not great on the streets In wet conditions!

·
Yes, I ride my R6.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are race/track tires we are talking about. WAY different than street. If you get Dunlop race tires get 190. Pirelli get 180. If you are getting any street tires get a 180. No need in the 190

Okay, thanks for the info. I was thinking I would do Pirelli 180's then. Looks like everyone I've talked to has been happy with those, although I don't think I could really go wrong either way. Sorry for the misconception that you were talking about street tires. I know that they're way different and wouldn't think running about them on the street.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Okay, thanks for the info. I was thinking I would do Pirelli 180's then. Looks like everyone I've talked to has been happy with those, although I don't think I could really go wrong either way. Sorry for the misconception that you were talking about street tires. I know that they're way different and wouldn't think running about them on the street.
Pirelli makes a street compound version of the Supercorsas! :fact

But like I mentioned, the wet traction is an issue. And they probably won't reach 5000 miles like power pures or Q2's, etc.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts