Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Yes, I ride my R6.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pirelli makes a street compound version of the Supercorsas! :fact

But like I mentioned, the wet traction is an issue. And they probably won't reach 5000 miles like power pures or Q2's, etc.

:cheers
Well, I'm not planning on riding in the rain, although sometimes we can't help that kind of stuff. I think it's pretty clear that I need to do some more research before I make any kind of decision based on what I want / need. I think I'll be going with a 180 tire, regardless of what manufacturer I decide on. Feel free to keep discussing the track tires though!

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
Perfect. Have u ever run blue front and green rear? I hear it's a sick setup. I've got sc2's front and rear for track days.

OP, the tires we are discussing are race DOT tires. They are Not great on the streets In wet conditions!
Even the top racers don't use the blue front. Our tracks aren't perfectly paved and it's ungodly hot. The blue front would get ripped to shreds very fast lol. Everyone here usually races sc2 front sc1 rear (sprints)

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Even the top racers don't use the blue front. Our tracks aren't perfectly paved and it's ungodly hot. The blue front would get ripped to shreds very fast lol. Everyone here usually races sc2 front sc1 rear (sprints)
Awesome info!! Thanks bro! Good luck with the rest of your season!!!! :flex:

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
A lot of great info here guys. Keep it comin :toocool:
You gonna step up your game and roll on DOT's soon BRAH!?

Bryan picked up the 209/211 deal from RTS last week and LOVED em on the track Saturday. He bested his laptimes on a super green track Saturday! 1:40~ on Thunderbolt!

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
Actually I was gonna b racing last sunday but I'm having electrical issues. Probably gonna sell the bike and get a new one for next year :|

Also thinking about just racing mini endurance :p

·
DARC Racing
2,338 Posts
190/55 Michelin here... Love it... also set the bike up for it as well... Ride height and suspension... Never going back... If you just slap it on... Well you aint gonna notice nuttin but looks.. but thats ok too...

·
Rather be riding....
75 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm picking up an '03 R6 this weekend. It needs some new rubber, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking into. It's currently got a 190 tire in the back, although I've heard that it's not necessarily a great idea to run that width on a 600cc bike.

This is my first street bike, so forgive my ignorance if this has been covered a million times before. I just didn't really know how to search for something like this. Any thoughts / insight / opinions are greatly appreciated!

-Garrett
I vote 180s, they're bit easier in the corners... 190s look better though :secret

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned, but the tire selection is a little better for 190s. I was close to changing form 180 to 190 this season for that reason, until I realized I'd need an extra couple links in my chain, there was less clearance for my tire warmers, and rear caliper didn't clear for tire changes so I had to pull the carrier (not as fast).

-D

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned, but the tire selection is a little better for 190s. I was close to changing form 180 to 190 this season for that reason, until I realized I'd need an extra couple links in my chain, there was less clearance for my tire warmers, and rear caliper didn't clear for tire changes so I had to pull the carrier (not as fast).

-D
Why is the 190 tire selection better? :confused

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
Just swapped over from 190/55 D211's to some 190/55 Pirelli Trackday Slicks. Lookin' forward to testing them out next weekend. I may have to adjust the suspension though...
Should got the 180. It's gonna feel super weird. But ya suspension adjustment will definitely be needed

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Should got the 180. It's gonna feel super weird. But ya suspension adjustment will definitely be needed
What do you think... Raise the front some?

Couldn't pass up on the price. Only had two laps on them. But ya, if it feels too weird, I can throw the 211s back on. Still had enough life for one day.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
What do you think... Raise the front some?

Couldn't pass up on the price. Only had two laps on them. But ya, if it feels too weird, I can throw the 211s back on. Still had enough life for one day.
I would measure the circumference of both tires while mounted to get the radius or diameter and raise the front accordingly. u can also pm Carlos. He ran that setup for much of the season. His username is like jcv33t or something like that.

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
I forgot to mention a couple things. The 190 is not made for 5.5" rims. (all brands except Dunlop) so you have two things to think about. While the 190 MIGHT give you a bigger contact patch, the 180 will give you a quicker turn in and better handling because it's not "misshaped" due to being on a smaller rim than it was designed for

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can tell you I just switched from a 190 to a 180 and it was a world of difference in handling. Bike leans side to side soo much quicker with the right size tire on the rim. It feels a ton better. When I bought the bike the previous owner had a 190 on it. I replaced them with stock size 180's when tire time came

·
slow guy
4,400 Posts
You gonna step up your game and roll on DOT's soon BRAH!?

Bryan picked up the 209/211 deal from RTS last week and LOVED em on the track Saturday. He bested his laptimes on a super green track Saturday! 1:40~ on Thunderbolt!
I'm running that setup now. I picked up a barely used D211gpa rear medium compound a few weeks back and replaced my trashed 209 soft.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
I'm running that setup now. I picked up a barely used D211gpa rear medium compound a few weeks back and replaced my trashed 209 soft.
:boob

21 - 40 of 93 Posts