Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
Should got the 180. It's gonna feel super weird. But ya suspension adjustment will definitely be needed
You were def right on the money about it feeling weird. I felt my front tire being pushed the entire time and I kept running wide. I could not get the bike turned like I wanted for anything. I ran three sessions and couldn't take it anymore so I swapped the 211s back on and it was like night and day. Sold the pirellis to a Buddy on a 1000 so I wasn't to mad about it. I'll have to try them out again next season, but this time in a 180 size.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys. Have you ridden the D211 GP Racer? To be honest, I don't know if the Racer model was available in USA at all (I'm from Europe, Poland, sending best regards :) ). I am wondering if the Racer model 190/55 is also recommended for 5.50 rim. I also don't know which rim (5.50 or less) does Dunlop recommend for their 180/55 D211 GP Racer (I just can't find that info on any Dunlop web site). Does anyone know?

Edit:
I've wrote an email to Dunlop (Europe department) and got an interesting answer.
Question:
I'm about to buy D211GP Racer M rear tyre for my 2007 Yamaha R6 with 5.50
rim. I'm wondering which size should I choose? The 180/55 or 190/55? I know
that you recommend D211GP-A (USA made) and D211GP (UK made) N-Tec of size 190/55 for 5.50 rim. I just cannot find any information about the Racer
model.
Answer:
The GP Racer 211 is French built and designed for track days and club
races. This should not be confused with the UK made GP 211 tyre which is a
race tyre and more commonly used by teams. Both tyres are N-Tech. For
information on the GP Racer 211 made both in slick and with grooves see
http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/mc/tyres/on_road/Sportmax_GP_Racer_D211.jsp

If using the French made GP Racer 211 we advise use of the 180/55 ZR 17
(73W) TL on the R6. For UK tracks we advise using the Endurance GP Racer
211 rather than the medium (...)
So it seems everything is clear. Hope this will help someone.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Bump. So keep a 180 unless its. Dunlop correct? Also, if I switch to a 190 Dunlop, would I need to switch up my suspension?
not so in all cases.. see above posts.
For track riding/racing, 180 has pros/cons. 190 has pros/cons. dunlop doesn't offer a 180 at all in a competition tire. some other brands are not making 180's in competition tires either. Michelin has everything including 17 and 16.5 slick competition tires.
For street riding? won't matter much either way i would suspect. You may try to adjust rear ride height for the tire size differences. a 190 is taller than a 180.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes. I adjusted my suspension when I went from 190 to 200. Bike sits higher and it's a fatter tire.
Should I consider any significant changes going from 195 to 190? or 195 to 200? The mandated slicks for my particular race are only available in 190 and 200.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
remove the stock shim that comes on the 3rd gen r6, have the eye-to-eye shock length around 292mm or so.. and be prepared to have more grip.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Still haven't had a chance to install my Elka :(.... but that has a ride height adjuster too :p

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
remove the stock shim that comes on the 3rd gen r6, have the eye-to-eye shock length around 292mm or so.. and be prepared to have more grip.
Had bad luck on 190 Pirelli SBK Pro's even after removing the shim still had no rear grip and lost the back end a few times because of it during races, going back to 180's for now.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Had bad luck on 190 Pirelli SBK Pro's even after removing the shim still had no rear grip and lost the back end a few times because of it during races, going back to 180's for now.
I think it was user error....:)

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
something else is going on.. i can't speak for the pirelli tires, but with Michelin power1 and PowerCup (newest) the 190 provides better mechanical grip especially exiting corners. Like.. way more. The 180 may be a preferred tire though at tracks where you are not having to be on the side of the tire on the gas a lot, such as tracks with slower corners and longer straights, where you are getting the bike picked up sooner. This grip works both exiting the corner, but entering a corner too.. as it the bike will stay in line more vs. having the rear end stepping out as much.
Again, it's a package. Bigger doesn't always mean better. Each tire works better or worse in some areas.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
so i think i'm gonna bite the bullet and go with some R10's 190/55.

I'm sure i'll need to adjust my suspension though, you guys think i'll have to get a new chain or that shouldn't be an issue. i was kinda leaning towards Dunlops for the 190 but I got a buddy who can get me a set of R10's locally. Any input?

Only thing I'm concerned about is the rim size. He said the Bstone rep said the tire will be fine on the 5.5 rim. On the Bstone site it says (Rec.Rim 6.0) then next slot over (Meas.Rim 5.50~6.0)

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

I'm sure i'll need to adjust my suspension though, you guys think i'll have to get a new chain or that shouldn't be an issue. i was kinda leaning towards Dunlops for the 190 but I got a buddy who can get me a set of R10's locally. Any input?

Only thing I'm concerned about is the rim size. He said the Bstone rep said the tire will be fine on the 5.5 rim. On the Bstone site it says (Rec.Rim 6.0) then next slot over (Meas.Rim 5.50~6.0)
try the Michelin powerCup 190 and VB michelin front tire. No suspension adjustments for now, just put em on, set the cold psi at 30ft/21rear, warm em for 30min or so, and go have fun. The 190/55 is designed for a 5.5" rim. no issues. There are a few michelin competition tire distributors around the country that can ship them to you and you can mount on your own.
you are looking at about $400 for a set of race rubber..
for a 190 you typically add 1 tooth gearing vs. a 180 tire (to account for the diameter) but do you even know the right gearing you would run? you
usually take 5mm or so of ride height out of the rear for the 190 vs 180, but again, is your suspension even in the ball park? just put em on an go for now.

do you need race rubber? likely not for now, but the tire vendor can steer you in the right direction on a less expensive alternative for your level of riding.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
i've heard great things about the michelin cups. would it matter of a 190 tire going on a 5.5 rim? i understand Dunlops are ok, but what about these R10's, i understand the beading up, of the rubber. but just not sure about these.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i've heard great things about the michelin cups. would it matter of a 190 tire going on a 5.5 rim? i understand Dunlops are ok, but what about these R10's, i understand the beading up, of the rubber. but just not sure about these.
have no idea about b-stones. all the majors make a 190 for a 5.5" rim though. it's a trade off deciding between a 180 or a 190. both have characteristics that are superior in some ways. world supersport is allowed to choose between spec 180 and 190 at the various tracks (not that any of us are at that level, just stating there are differences that even pros decided each way some times).. I have used the 190 michelin all season now that it is 3 pounds lighter than the 190 we had last year :) Our 190 this year, feels like the 180 from last year.. it's that light. Not so with other 190' s, some are still pretty heavy

·
Registered
507 Posts
Finally got my Elka on..... found a good deal on a 200 sized slick (vs the 195 I currently have on) so I might go with that.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Yes. I adjusted my suspension when I went from 190 to 200. Bike sits higher and it's a fatter tire.
Why are you running a 200 bro? So much unnecessary weight in the rear. I guarantee you aren't needing a 200 dude.

More grip at a FULL lean.

You shouldn't be racing on them really. You'll never get the drive that the other racers have. A DOT has a TON more grip and I'm not sure about your class, but we have to run DOT's and it would suck to get contested and DQ'd for running a non DOT tire!

They are a VERY tall tire. ESPECIALLY with the 190 rear. Run the 180, there's no need for the 190. It gets so tall on the 5.5 rim. I ran thru countless sets of these tires all year. The 190 is a lot of extra weight, the bike is way slower. Bikes you pass all day will now gradually inch past you on a half mile straight. It's like dropping a tooth on the rear sprocket when you run the 190.

The 190 is 2mm taller than the 180 on the R10's. If you run them, with the 180, drop your front ride height 2mm. Or if you run the 190, you can remove the shim.

HOT off the track target pressure is 34 front and 33 psi rear. When the tire gets to the wear bar it starts slipping and the carcass is super pliable. Drop to 31 PSI off the track at that point to maintain grip and heat on that shagged side of the tire.

These tires let you know when the pressure is off. The front pinches, feel horrible, and the rear has enormous balls of rubber when you run the PSI too cold.

With the 190 I was hardly able to ever reach the edge of the tire cause it bows up quite a bit.

Not sure what you're running now, but the R10's were 5mm taller than the pirelli diablo's front and rear. The 190 rear was 7mm taller.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts