Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I just got my new 03 R6 and put 185 miles on it , I rode it pretty hard.So what do u guys think about changing the oil , what kind of oil should I use and how should I do this , dealer said no need to do an oil change untill 600 miles.
Should I use the M1 , it is the synthetic oil , a lot of people said not to use synthetic oil.......I am all confused .......... please help :cuss

·
Registered
503 Posts
I changed mine at 300 because that is plenty of miles for the metal shards to chip off into the oil compartments. It probably doesn't hurt to go to 600 miles, but I don't know about you, but I'm babying my $8000.00 machine man...

About the oil... use the regular stuff and not the synthetic. Do this for like the first two or three changes... I have currently close to 3,000 miles, and my next one will be the synthetic. But, I've changed mine like two or three times already just to be on the safe side, and for the fact that I like to do it. It's fun to see the inside stuff...

Hope this helps...
-Solace

·
Registered
836 Posts
I changed to synthetic at 1000 miles.

Now that I am racing, I switched to semi-syn because I am changing the oil after every weekend. Need to save the $$$.

I would go ahead and change the oil now. Like mentioned above, most of the chaff that will be worn off the engine is already in the oil now, so may as well get rid of it.

Be sure to run the bike for a few minutes before you drain it... to get all that crap suspended in the oil.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was told by my friend who works at the yamaha dealer not to go to synthetic until about 4000 miles which alows a little more friction to wear in the engine properly to ensure a long happy life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.