Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some insight.
I got a set of q4s pretty much brand new from a friend for cheap. Upgrading from q3+s. This is a track only bike. The thing I didn’t realize until after mounting is that it’s 190/55 in the rear. I’m finding conflicting info about ride height and spacers, anyone have some quick insight to the 180/55 to 190/55 change? To me it seems like I would expect it to be a bit twitcher and have faster turn in. Just looking for what to expect, I have a track day next weekend at CMP.
Thanks for your help!
Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have not gone from 180 Q3+ to 190 Q4. I have gone from Q3+ to Q4, I have also gone from 180 Pirelli SC1 slick to 190 Pirelli SC1 and SC0. Since the 180's are being phased out by manufacturer's. WHY? IDK? Why did Yamaha stop production of the best 600 ever?? IDK? For an amateur's race or track day rider, you will probably not even notice the difference. Expert level with 20+ years racing, yes, I noticed immediately. Height difference, turn in difference, trail brake, etc. extremely minor, made one small adjust to the front. DONE, kicked butt the next race. More than half of the amateurs had their wheels changed, didn't even notice the SC1 slick was a 190 on their bike last month. Tire guys didn't tell them. SO as for the difference between the Q3+ and the Q4, Oh heck ya, you will notice the traction difference on the edge and acceleration out of a corner. Good Luck, rubber side down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ce the difference. Expert level with 20+ years racing, yes, I noticed immediately. Height difference, turn in difference, trail brake, etc. extremely minor, made one small adjust to the front. DONE, kicked butt the next race. More than half of the amateurs had their wheels changed, didn't even notice the SC1 slick was a 190 on their bike last month. Tire guys didn't tell them. SO as for the difference between the Q3+ and the Q4, Oh heck ya, you will notice the traction difference on the edge and acceleration out of a corner. Good Luck, rubber side down.
Hell yea! This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks man!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just thought I’d follow up on this. Big difference in performance going to the 190 rear although I also changed from Q3+ to Q4 so it’s not a perfect swap. Anyway, like said above there is way more grip in turns and on exit. Definitely falls into the turn MUCH faster. Took me a couple sessions to get used to it since it’s much twitchier but I love it. Definitely worth it. Not going back to a 180 rear.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,244 Posts
How does 190 fit the swing arm?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was a little worried about that on acceleration - the tire growing taller and touching - but no perceived issues at all and it doesn't look like it touched peaking in through the back. I'm estimating it has about 1cm clearance. Now that's on a Q4, if it were a cup 2 or a slick with an even taller profile it might be closer. But as John said above, they swapped to 190 SC1 and SC0 slick and no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts