Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys,
I just did a track day at road Atlanta this wknd and switched from the 190/55 to 190/60 set of the 211gpa's.

I took the bike before I even went out and got the suspension set up for my weight and the guys lowered my rear end 2mm to make up for the 190/60. but the bike felt miserable.

a little insight into my bike. 06 r6, ohlines springs and 20mm valve kit in the forks, ttx rear. .95 front and 1.0 rear springs (i weigh in at about 210 on a bad day). i was running a 294mm eye to eye in the rear shock with the 190/55 tire with the front forks flush to the triple clamp (06 forks) and all they did to set it up for the 190/60 was drop it to 292mm eye to eye on the rear shock.

with the 190/55 i was running advanced times last yr at Jennings and front pack intermediate at barber and road Atlanta . with this 60 rear the bike was unridable. i just felt like i was gonna tip every corner and the front end was just all over the place. This was my first time out this wknd on the bike of course and the track day wasn't the greatest. had a red flag every session in my group so i didn't get to play to much with the bike. but what i did ride, it felt miserable.

what kind of suspension settings and changes did you guys make? what kind of affects on trail or ride height did you make in the front (if you were able to) ride height in the rear?.

i know every rider and every track is different but i'm just trying to get some ideas so i know what to look forward to and try out my next track day at barber in 3wks.

thanks for your time and advice.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
mine needed to be raised in the rear, or lowered in the front. i had to manhandle the bike to get her to turn in before the adjustment. now it's smooth like it's supposed to be.

get with a legit tuner, and get the geometry done - dave moss adjusted mine, and i only let the local guys adjust the rebound/compression these days. i'll do the sag myself depending on what i'm feeling from feedback.

·
Can't think of anything
64 Posts
Like what AGG said, take it to someone who specializes in suspension and get the geometry corrected. Typically going to raise the rear or lower the front (usually raise the rear). The only time I have ran into that being different is on the Daytona 675, it responded better with the front raised, unless you started playing with the trail. Also, just because you have to put effort into the steering input, doesn't mean that your not setup properly. Some guys prefer to put more effort into steering, ask Chris Ulrich who rides competitively in the AMA. But enough about others, just get the geometry corrected and to where your comfortable and the times will come back up.

On a side note, had a friend go to Road Atlanta a couple days ago as well and he said they lifelined 2 guys in helicopters? Sounds like a crazy day.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that's what i'm starting to get towards and just getting the geo back to the stock way and then working with it from there. I feel like its way off right now.

yeah the nesba track day was a disappointment and a big upset as far as confidence for wanting to go out there and ride hard.

1st session, 2nd lap of the novice group, guy highsides in turn 3 and gets ran over, guy running over flips his bike and a 3rd person behind goes down as a result of not being to avoid the effects. 2 got lifelined out. and the last lesion of intermediate a guy went in to hot into turn 1 and went down, got liflined out

there was a red flag in every session for intermediate and if there wasn't a red flag in novice then there were at least 2-3 yellow flags all around the track in novice every session. only one red flag in advanced all day.

·
Can't think of anything
64 Posts
Wow, that is pretty crazy :eek5

That is why I love riding in advance lol. Good luck with the setup and I am sure you will be going quick again very soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts