Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Top Gun
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to get my 06R6 prepped for WERA Superstock, and I need to make a decision on tires to use. I love the Dunlop Q2's on every bike I own, and I hear good things about the new US made Ntecs, but they don't offer a 180 rear. Is that normal, and should I just go to a 190 or what? Also, opinions welcome on what tire and brand to use, Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone, just no Vee Rubber! lol

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Pirelli Supercorsa SP for trackdays, and SC race compounds for races...

:cheers

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
The NTECs aren't offered in 180, only 190 and 200. It's fine switching to a 190, just get your suspension redialed for the fatter tired. I love my NTEC's :) I've ran both the UK and American ones.

·
Top Gun
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pirelli Supercorsa SP for trackdays, and SC race compounds for races...

:cheers
Man, I wish I could afford that. The Pirelli's are gorgeous, but super expensive. I mean, I could buy a whole set of GPA Ntec's for only $30 more than just a Supercorsa rear. :(

The NTECs aren't offered in 180, only 190 and 200. It's fine switching to a 190, just get your suspension redialed for the fatter tired. I love my NTEC's :) I've ran both the UK and American ones.
I gotta get my suspension fine tuned anyway, that's not too bad I guess. And I've been using Dunlops for 3 years now. I would think I know the feeling of the tires pretty well, so I didn't necessarily want to switch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Pirelli sets are $400 a set for race rubber and the US Dunlops the same. The real Ntecs from the UK are over $550!! The US version isn't supposed to be as good of a tire as the UK. The 190 Dunlop is made for our rims and the 200 is made for the liter bikes. As long as its set up properly you should be fine.

I will be riding on the Michelin Cups this year since I had great success on them last year coming off the Pirelli Supercorsa SC. They have the V profile front which I like since I trail brake hard.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
You get what you pay for... Tires being The most important thing on that bike, I personally wouldn't skimp... But, just voicing my opinion...

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Everyone will have there choice of tire for their preference. I personally run Bstone R10s. Its my first race tire I switched to for racing and trackdays, but i am sure it is more than enough tire for my skill level.

Find whats best for you. I was in the same situation as not wanting to switch from 180 to 190. So with that, I had to stay away from Dunlop though many guys with 600s love the 190 profile. If you're curious for other tires, give take offs a shot for certain brands before you spend on new rubber that you might not like.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
fwiw - the gpa isn't an ntec. You're talking about the kr449 ntec slick. Made in USA. Is pretty nice. Blows the gpa away. Still can't beat the uk ntec though. My tire of choice. :D

(excuse typos, as this was a mobile posting)

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
the us gpa, as agg posted above, is NOT the best tire for the money. the US spec dunlop is "better" than it was (it was a turd), but is still not as good or fast as the UK dunlop. But, as someone posted earlier, you have to pay $550 a set for those and as i understand, you won't be able to get them any more very soon.

Most 600 riders are using 190/55 tires. The actual printed sizes of these rears varies but the size are all roughly a 190 equivelent.. The pirelli is a very good race tire, and if you like a soft carcass tire that may be up your ally. Personall i like a firmer front tire like the michelin or dunlop.

The Michelin CUP is a $400 set that is worth trying. We won a BUNCH of races on that tire this year, lots of championships, etc. The new CUP 190 weighs THREE POUNDS less than the michelin power ONE rear 190/55 and is the lightest rear tire of all brands. The front CUP tire is potentially the best tire in the paddock, and one prominent suspension tuner has said that all year.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
:eek5 where are you getting CUPS for $400/set?

Running a 190 is no problem just make sure you set up your suspension to compensate for the taller rear tire.

·
Live & Learn
904 Posts
I have the Dunlop GPA's 190 in the rear. I'm never going back to a 180. I personally believe that the 190 on the R6 should come stock.
550 for a set of dunlops? I paid 225 new and installed for mine...
Next set are us ntecs and I'm getting them for 200 installed woohoo!!!!

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
Um, am I missing something or what? Some of you are suggesting he run slicks...which he can't do in the class he's wanting to run? Have to stick with a DOT tire. Kind of eliminates slicks.

I hate using the "That's what the pros use" line, but shit, AMA guys run the 211GPA's. Granted, they're brand new sets, and they get replaced after 25 laps, but seriously - those 25 laps are probably way, way faster than just about anyone on this forum.

·
Live & Learn
904 Posts
Um, am I missing something or what? Some of you are suggesting he run slicks...which he can't do in the class he's wanting to run? Have to stick with a DOT tire. Kind of eliminates slicks.

I hate using the "That's what the pros use" line, but shit, AMA guys run the 211GPA's. Granted, they're brand new sets, and they get replaced after 25 laps, but seriously - those 25 laps are probably way, way faster than just about anyone on this forum.
:werd

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the Dunlop GPA's 190 in the rear. I'm never going back to a 180. I personally believe that the 190 on the R6 should come stock.
550 for a set of dunlops? I paid 225 new and installed for mine...
Next set are us ntecs and I'm getting them for 200 installed woohoo!!!!
NTec for $200? :nocontrol no f:/;:g way. I'm assuming they're pull offs, but if not please (for the love of god) hook me up. I'll throw you some cash.:secret

·
Live & Learn
904 Posts
NTec for $200? :nocontrol no f:/;:g way. I'm assuming they're pull offs, but if not please (for the love of god) hook me up. I'll throw you some cash.:secret
Yes brand new. Once my street set of GPA's wear out the Ntecs go on! Unfortunately I won't have my bike for a entire week :/
But I'm pretty sure I can get the GPA's all day long for 225 a set, I'll check tomorrow with my connect.
Buttttttttt I might change out my GPA's on tuesday when I get my bike back from the painter and I might sell you my GPA's for uber cheap:sing
190 rear though.

I will check on the Ntecs, my guy will be pretty confused when I'm asking for another set when I haven't even put on my first set lol. I'll keep you posted.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Why are you running GPA on the street? They'll berber get to temp and stay. And I'll believe those prices when I see it
Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts

they're actually not fatter. well, only by about 3mm. it's actually much taller.

it's the best tire out there - imo. i LOVE em. i keep wanting to try out the cups, but just can't get past the longevity combined with stickiness of the ntec.

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,619 Posts
So, I'm trying to get my 06R6 prepped for WERA Superstock, and I need to make a decision on tires to use. I love the Dunlop Q2's on every bike I own, and I hear good things about the new US made Ntecs, but they don't offer a 180 rear. Is that normal, and should I just go to a 190 or what? Also, opinions welcome on what tire and brand to use, Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone, just no Vee Rubber! lol
Dunlop sheets recommended rim for the 190 GP-A's is 5.5".
Check here: http://www.dunlopracing.com/fitment.pdf

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
I'm running the 211's I like the tire. Good grip and I can get acouple of trackdays out of them a few races. Cost is what put me in the dunlop's.

Your running the Q2's so for the 211's (and I may be wrong) but to keep your ride height you would need to shim the rear shock to 1mm and take out the 3mm shim that is there now. At least that's the info I was able to gather and did to mine when I switched to the dunlop 190.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts