Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya boys... im up in the mountains for the 4th and my father in law has this nifty Honda XL 80s which has been sitting for quite some time. In any event ive made it my purpose up here to get this thing started. Battery is dead so im relying on the kick starter but im not getting any spark if i take the spark plug out and crank on it. Anyone got any tips on this single cylinder antiques or could possibly find me a link to download a service manual? PM me if you find something.

Im about to drain the fuel and take the carb apart but id like to have a manual to back myself up on.

p.s. Going into town today to get a new spark plug and fuel.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also read that the kick start relies on ignition points to generate the spark. If this is the case im going to make sure they are not gummed/rusted etc today as well.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Could be a bad stator which makes it not worth fixing, but likely its corroded points. Take off the left cover and look though the holes in the flywheel. You should see an ovalish one and as you turn it slowly, at some point you will see a set of points. Likely they are corroded or burned. There is also a condensor in there which goes bad too. I believe they sell them as a set, but its been years since i replaced them. If the condensor is good, you can always take some fine grit sandpaper on the end of a precision screwdriver and sand the contacts. Youll either need to take the flywheel off, or be able to work in tight confines slowly.

Points and condensors on those were pretty common failures, and that engine group really ran for years and is largely the xr/crf 80 now. Pretty much the same engine, so you might be able to get a newer, better unit for the same money or less. Other than that, it could be a bad spark plug wire/boot, coil, etc. The clymer manual is pretty good about those old xls.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My raptor 250 wouldnt start after sitting. Gas was left on. Gotta shut gas off and drain carbs. New gas with ethonol is awful for gunking up carbs.

Remove carbs and clean jets. Most likley is the issue.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
My raptor 250 wouldnt start after sitting. Gas was left on. Gotta shut gas off and drain carbs. New gas with ethonol is awful for gunking up carbs.

Remove carbs and clean jets. Most likley is the issue.
He said it doesnt have spark dude...:nono

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
If when you get the carb apart, cleaned and back together, it starts overflowing gas and you know you didnt change the float height, its going to be the the rubber tipped float needle valve, and it will need replacement. Also check the air filter on that old pile.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks :) Yes the air filter was just changed last year in an attempt to get it started. When i kick start it i do smell gas so im not convinced its the fuel system just yet. I'm really thinking its the points as even push starting it down a hill and popping the clutch couldn't get it started. Ill take the cover off today and take a peek at the points. The plug i pulled was wet but black so not 100% sure its still good. I love a good mystery however. Now i wish i had my stand with me. Gonna be a bitch working on this thing on the ground. :nono Its pretty light though maybe ill set it up on the porch.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Thanks :) Yes the air filter was just changed last year in an attempt to get it started. When i kick start it i do smell gas so im not convinced its the fuel system just yet. I'm really thinking its the points as even push starting it down a hill and popping the clutch couldn't get it started. Ill take the cover off today and take a peek at the points. The plug i pulled was wet but black so not 100% sure its still good. I love a good mystery however. Now i wish i had my stand with me. Gonna be a bitch working on this thing on the ground. :nono Its pretty light though maybe ill set it up on the porch.
Change the plug. Its probably got a C7HSA or a CR7HS. I ran the HS plug in mine. You have to give it a good kick too to make sure it will spark. The cover is just a few bolts, but its easy to strip, so be careful when you put it back on. Also, look on in front of the sprocket as sometimes when the chain throws, it goes through the case there, introducing water and rust. That shit will corrode points super fast.

You may want to do a compression or leakdown test as well if you have the ability.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Change the plug. Its probably got a C7HSA or a CR7HS. I ran the HS plug in mine. You have to give it a good kick too to make sure it will spark. The cover is just a few bolts, but its easy to strip, so be careful when you put it back on. Also, look on in front of the sprocket as sometimes when the chain throws, it goes through the case there, introducing water and rust. That shit will corrode points super fast.

You may want to do a compression or leakdown test as well if you have the ability.
I dont have the ability up here in the sticks...at home i do where all my tools are. Im doing all of this with a Po-Dunk hardware store ratchet kit that looks like it is circa 1955.

Thanks for the tips though.. ill report back what i see later today.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.......changed the plug and shot some starter fluid and bam.... Started right up. She did not hold idle but ran well for a good 2 minutes...then she sucked all the gas out and quit. With the petcock wide open she wont turn over now. Still get spark etc so tomorrow i will check the petcock and hoses. If i find a blockage great if not its on to the carb.

The good was the points were ok and i got good spark. More to come.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If when you get the carb apart, cleaned and back together, it starts overflowing gas and you know you didnt change the float height, its going to be the the rubber tipped float needle valve, and it will need replacement. Also check the air filter on that old pile.
Well i had to do it today. Pulled the carb out and took it apart..the bucket bowl was completely dry as well as the needle. I knew there was an issue with the fuel getting inside the carb. So when i pulled the float needle the rubber was brittle and disintegrated in my hand so ill be going into town tomorrow with fingers crossed to see if they have a float needle. I cant see them not having them everyone up here has old 250 dirt bikes etc.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully i can get this thing running by Saturday.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
So it runs, it just needs the carb rebuilt. If it wont idle, you should take the jets out (specifically the pilot jet for idle) and clean it out. It may also be that the idle is out of adjustment, but likely its the pilot jet being plugged if it sat. There should be an air/idle screw on the side of the carb that may or may not still have the lock nut on it. I believe it takes a phillips screwdriver to turn once you have removed the lock nut. Adjust slowly and make sure you know your starting point. If it ran decent through the mid and top rpm, then the main jet is probably fine but should still be cleaned if possible. Basically, clean the carb as good as you can. You might have a bowl gasket leak if its been sitting. Shit is annoying but pretty simple in the end. You can hit me up on facebook tomorrow if you have questions, I get to that easier than here.:laugh

Good luck mang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts