Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this bike up for $350 from a riding buddy. My little brother wants a bike and I think this will be a good one for him.

Some assembly required, battery not included :D

I'll keep the updates coming as the project continues. Feel free to share any experience or interesting things you find related to the bike.

He really wants to do the R1 tail conversion...it does look pretty sweet.

Attachments

·
Lovin the R6!
682 Posts
Would have bought in a heartbeat for that price! Good find

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is missing the right side fairing....hard piece to find so far. I need to go sift through some wrecking yards. From what I can tell, it was a popular bike and a lot of people raced them.

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were those the fairing that came with the bike? That is not a 1992 upper......
There are 2 different headlight setups with these bikes. Dual round lights and single rectangular light. At least as far as I can tell, I've seen pics of the bike being ridden by the old owner and the title says 1992 FZR 600. But if you know something I don't, please share.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
There are 2 different headlight setups with these bikes. Dual round lights and single rectangular light. At least as far as I can tell, I've seen pics of the bike being ridden by the old owner and the title says 1992 FZR 600. But if you know something I don't, please share.
1992 had the single headlights.

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder what the difference is...

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Triple checked the title, it's matches the vin on the bike. Someone must have swapped the headlight/fairing. No biggie, I did the same thing on my R1, out 2012 lights on a 2009. Just like the looks better.

Thanks for the info though!

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems one of the owners switched headlight/front fairing and bought the air intake tubes. The '91-'92 did not have these.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,451 Posts
Awesome you're doing this for your brother!

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, he will be helping me. He wouldn't take any pride or ownership of it if I just hand it to him. He's 20, hopefully he understands the risk and self control. He has the ability to get a bike on his own, I might as well make sure he doesn't get something stupid and be there to teach him.

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it turns out well, I might get one for my wife too.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
Man, I love the old round dual-headlight look from the early 90s. Can't wait to see it all done.
:nono I like the single headlight of the 92. :nono
If it turns out well, I might get one for my wife too.
Does she ride? Like I said before, my 92 was my first bike. It was a perfect first bike. Slow enough to not get me in any trouble and fast enough to be super fun...even at the track. Crazy to think that those were the fast bike back in the day! :laugh

·
My R1 Gets Me Off
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:nono I like the single headlight of the 92. :nono

Does she ride? Like I said before, my 92 was my first bike. It was a perfect first bike. Slow enough to not get me in any trouble and fast enough to be super fun...even at the track. Crazy to think that those were the fast bike back in the day! :laugh
She wants to. Having a hard time finding a bike since she is 4'10". Also, can't find a jacket that fits since the baby made her a little top heavy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts