Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short... Last Fall I was having charging problems with my R6, over charged my battery (regulator issue) and acid leaked out blah blah blah...

Today I installed a brand new Rick's Motorsport Stator, Reg/Rec, New harness inbetween, and a new agm battery. Yet it still won't charge correctly...I think...

I'm getting 13.3v at best at idle (1400 rpm). Rev up to 2000 rpm and I get about 13.7v. Anything over 2000 rpm and the voltage goes down. 5-6000 rpm I get about 13.4v at best. If I set the idle lower than 1300 rpm the voltage goes down to below 12.5v...???

I Tested the Stator after install and I was getting the same AC voltage on all three phases (I think it was around 45-55 volts at 6000ish rpm). I replaced all the wiring between the stator, reg/rec, and battery with a Rick's harness. Everything looks great, the ground and hot wire from the reg/rec ohm out great and the ground is grounded well.

How come I can't get the 14+ volts at idle and 14.5v at 5000 rpm like the manual states?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been doing a lot of research as I've owned the bike for 6 months and been through 2 regulators already. Overheating, charging at 18.5v and cooking my battery.

For testing the stator there is a paragraph at the bottom of the first post here:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31255

I have also been trying to get help here without any luck. Before buying another new regulator/rectifier I have been trying to figure out which one will be the best, I have looked at the Rick's Motorsport one but I haven't been sold on it yet. Without relocating the regulator and/or placing a fan on it most people seem to run into the problem again and I don't want that, the last time it gave up on me I was 3 hours from home by myself.

If your regulator is a dud... I am trying to figure out if what people do to their r1 bikes would also work on the r6's or if it would be too much. What I am talking about is a Mofset type regulator that does not heat up like ours. Info is found here on the upgrade: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122303

1 - 4 of 4 Posts