Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The weird turn pro.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup everyone.
I have a 1999 R6 Track bike I never had any real problems with before except a shift shaft return spring.
The bike sat for more than 6 months without running last year. I tried starting it in the fall for the first time, and it sounded like it was not running on 4 cylinders. Ok. Cylinder 1's coil was loose upon inspection, and some of the plugs looked dirty. I replaced all plugs and coils and put in a new battery.
Once it was back together, the bike would start right up with the choke on and sounded like it should, but as soon as the choke as was off, the engine would die. Ok. Must be carbs. So I took apart each carb, one by one, taking out all jets and needles and cleaned them carefully. The floats looked good and so did the float needles. There was some gunk in there but nothing too bad. I put everything back together all cleaned up, and had the same result with no difference. The engine cuts out as soon as I release the choke. I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter as well, but made no difference.
I've been reading through old posts on this forum for tips, but cant find an exact match of whats going on. At this point I am stumped. Could be a fuel pump? Seems unlikely. Anyone out there has some experience working on this era of R6 and could offer some advice? All the vacuum hoses etc looked to be in good shape. Is there something obvious I am missing?
Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A/F mix passage(s) clogged? aka the circuit controlled by the pilot screw- might be worth checking their adjustment anyway- page 6-9 in the gen1 service manual.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,882 Posts
Time to do a carb clean/rebuild. Today’s ethanol mixed gas does NOT store well. It turns to chewing gum in no time! It has clogged your jets and passages.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts