Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...i just bought a 1999 r6 as a project bike. I did a lot of research on other websites and other forums and i haven't found anyone trying to convert the 1999 tail to a 2003. I just bought the 2003 undertail and lights from Ebay. Is this even possible?

I know i can covert the tail to a 2001 (which is my next option if the 2003 converstion can't be done)

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i looked into that as well and stopped once i figured out that the 02 and 03 are not the same bike. i believe they revamped the 03 along with engine to a new platform of motorcycle but still resembling the older models. if you are not a person who can fabricate your own parts and are just looking for a easy upgrade to a better tail....stick with the 01-02 parts. that is my .02......... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i agree keep the old parts on the old bike

the new tail is designed for the new style and look of the newer better looking 03-05 r6's so :tongue

:moon

·
Registered
304 Posts
better looking??? i dont know about all that. i dont really care for the hard edges of the body line but i am jealous of fuel injection and some of the color schemes.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
oliverclothesov said:
better looking??? i dont know about all that. i dont really care for the hard edges of the body line but i am jealous of fuel injection and some of the color schemes.
Way better looking. You can't really say the '99-02 headlight and tail look better than the '03-05. I personally hope they never go back to frames and swingarms that aren't black.

BTW its not that the earlier R6 is a bad looking bike, its not. The newer ones are just better. :hammer

·
Registered
586 Posts
oliverclothesov said:
I second that!

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
if you have the patience, its possible. there is someone here on this rock that put '02 R1 fairings set w/headlight and tail light, somehow put it on a '99 R6. so if you really want to put the '03 tail on your earlier bike it is possible, but i have no clue nor the patience to even try.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot everyone....i appreciate the good info. I received the tail light yesterday, now i'm just waiting for the undertail....and i'm going to attempt a "rig." If it doesn't work, I'll just sell it on ebay again and go w/ the 02 conversion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I Have to agree that the newer bikes have come a long way, however I still love the styling of the 01-02 models. I actually prefer the round tail lights than anything else that they have come out with since. As far as the front end goes I have two friends that have an 03, and an 04 and when they are all backed into a spot next to each other there is not enough of a difference in my opinion to say that either is better. The one thing that I am jealous of is def. the Fuel Injection.. no argument there.. Either way Yamaha makes a nice looking bike no matter what year.. my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts