Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just my bike?

How much of a 'clunk' do you guys get engaging 1st from neutral?

I've had my 2007 R6R from new (now done 2500miles (4,020km)) and as far as I can remember has 'clunked' ever since I got it.

I'm getting paranoid about it though now! It's probably in my head but it could be getting worse.

The bike displays no other signs of the clutch not disengaging - I just want to get a feel for what degree everyone else does.

It's enough to give the bike a good jump forward, and me to produce a horrible grimace!

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
it will always clunk,when your going in first gear.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Do you let your bike warm up??? reason i ask that is because the bike will idle slightly higher before it is warmed up to 104f.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Normal. When you're in neutral, even with the clutch pulled in, the output shaft is still spinning a little due to friction in the clutch through the oil. (same as if the bike is off, it's easier to move it if you put it in neutral instead of just pulling the clutch) So when you put it into first, the output stops spinning altogether suddenly making the clunk. I've also noticed it'll make a little clunk if you're in first with the clutch pulled in and rev it. when the RPMs drop back down, it'll clunk a little.

It's just how things work

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
mine started to clunk more often, but it used to be less of a clunk or no clunk (maybe not noticable clunk)... lately it started to be more annoying.... same effect whether bike is hot/cold

i'd like to think its normal though

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see........

Yeah I let it warm up before I go riding. But even when I've been out for a while and the engine and all parts will be nicely warmed through, if I stop at a set of lights, put it into neutral, sit back for a bit, then clutch in and knock it into 1st it still does a good solid clunk. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Sometimes it goes in smoothly, like I got lucky and gear aligned well with the tranny but more often than not, it doesn't!!

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
ya mine does it too... and every other bike i've ever seen lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Used to happen on my old KX80 as well as my Dads CR480 and it happens on my R6 with 60km on the odometer.

Meh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts