Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Yamaha R6 with 35k miles, sometimes when i try to shift to first gear, it grind the gear. but sometimes it just engage smoothly. At first i thought its because i adjusted clutch cable, but i have tighten it already and it still does it sometimes. If it does grind, i usually just need to engage the clutch and disengage again and it will shift in after the engine roll off a little.

Is this a sign of bad clutch or something along the line or i just have to get used to?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not sure if this applies to a motorcycle tranny.. but when my eclipse started doing that the synchronization gear was going bad..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds to me that you have to get some new parts for your tranny.These are : friction plates , clutch plates and prolly clutch springs . Get them replaced and your bike will be as good as new.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^
Are those parts hard to replace? or should i just get them and have a shop replace it?

Are you going into first from neutral while moving?
Sometimes it happens when i just started my bike and shifting from neutral to first, but sometimes I am just on the street cruising and when almost coming to a stop, i shift to first gear and it will happen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not that hard to replace them if you have the knowledge to do so,but I guess that's not your case.Just go to a mechanic or a yama dealer and they 'll fix it for you.Your bike has a lot of mileage so that's why I'm guessing that your problem is what I've mentioned.
These parts are located on the right side cowling of your bike,where the clutch cable ends.Their work is too keep the bike from engaging the gears when you use the clutch,but after years of use and enough mileage the springs become softer and the friction plates get slick,sooo you have to replace them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts