Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys and girls!!! I just recently bought a 2002 R6 and have a few questions that I couldn't answer with searching. One was the infamous tick, doesn't really bother me but I was just curious. The second was 1st gear to second gear shifting issues I'm having. It starts after the bike has warmed up, it doesn't shift into second as smoothly as when the bike is cool, and the shifts are kinda loud. It's like I can feel it go through [N] into 2nd. Sometimes it kinda clicks too. I've read that the transmission has three dawgs and if the rpm's are not matched up to the speed of the bike it will not engage as smoothly. The faster I up shift the smoother it is. I just am new to the sport bike scene and I want to make sure it's something normal. I plan to do an oil change with synthetic will that maybe smooth it out a little?

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Some of the older R6's had a second gear problem. I don't know much about it but it sounds like maybe that's what you have. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in here in a minute.

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
I'm noticing the same thing with my 08 but it's rather turned around. When mine heats up it becomes much more quiet, etc.

As for gravis86, you aren't noticing anything unusual with yours?

Also, one more. The yamaha tick, is that the noise that sounds similar to a deisel engine when not in gear?

·
Registered
185 Posts
These bikes are ment to be pounded. You are getting a clunk because your rpms are pretty low probally. My bike doest the same thing, and sumtimes i miss second if im dawgin it too much. Thats the deltabox for ya. If you are new to the sport bike scene, have you took it out full throttle yet and shifting inbetween10 and 12 thousand RPMS. ITs smooth sailing in this area.. seriously.

·
Eh?
322 Posts
Check into the second gear issue that might be it.
Also check your clutch free play and adjust it if necessary.

Shouldnt need to be 'dawgin' it to get smooth shifting, and the deltabox is how the frame is shaped/moulded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its just poor shifting on my part. The second gear issue is with the clutch slipping out of second under heavy acceleration. That isn't the case with me. Like I said when I'm paying attention to it and shift quickly maybe 4500 RPM its pretty smooth. I can feel it go through [N] but thats normal. It's when I shift slowly or wait a few seconds with the clutch pulled in is when it shifts poorly.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
It's all about shifting fast bro.....pretty soon you'll learn how to shift without the clutch:sing

·
****in skool loans...
165 Posts

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
I'm noticing the same thing with my 08 but it's rather turned around. When mine heats up it becomes much more quiet, etc.

As for gravis86, you aren't noticing anything unusual with yours?

Also, one more. The yamaha tick, is that the noise that sounds similar to a deisel engine when not in gear?
Mine also gets smoother as it heats up. I am assuming that it's because the oil is getting warmer, and is becoming thinner so things mesh easier.

The Yamaha Tick. If you want to know how it sounds, just click your fingernails together. That's the sound, but lots of them really fast.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
it's not the notorious 2nd gear problem, it's just the way the first gens are. if u shift into second, get on the throttle, and the gear pops out and back in, then it's time to get out ur wallet and spend lots of mooolah.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts