Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before the 11,000km oil change, my brand new 2007 R6 had a first gear top speed of 125km/h, before the engine start to kick back.

On my 11,000km oil change, I decided to have my sparks plugs replaced as well. The merchand told me I wouldn't see any difference. I've still decided to have my sparks plugs changed.

After this 11,000km oil and sparks plugs change, my 2007 R6 has a 1st gear top speed of 131km/h, before the engine start to kick back (ie: reach the RPM limiter).

I don't know what happened there, that day, but the top speed definitively changed. I also noticed a quite noticiable higher engine compression that day. I tried to get an explanation, a few days later, on that matter. The mecanic wasn't able to explained this.

I moslty ride on the first and second gears, because I love soooo much raving and having this bike screems like hell :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well my '09 R6 is completely stock, except for appearance mods and I actually did some 1st gear pulls today because I'm trying to get off to a quicker start from a dead stop.

I never took my bike all the way to the revv limiter (what rpms does the limiter bounce off at? And is it safe to do that?)

I think I took my bike to right around 16,000rpms and my speedo was indicating 71mph. Some of you are saying you've gotten anywhere from 77-82mph. Hmm, I wonder if that's because you guys have performance mods or maybe you have taken it higher than I did?

Also...since our speedos are off...what 10% or so? That means the actual speed for the end of 1st gear on an '09 is about 64-65mph?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good luck if you want fast drag start. This bike isn't the best at this, as it only get its power around 10,000 RPM.

About riding at high rev... I do it all the time. The RPM limiter bump at 16,500. No worries, this RMP limiter is there to protect your engine.

Some guys, out there, think by riding smootly their bike, they are doing them a favour. That is totally wrong. The torque zone is where your engine is the most confortable. What is amazing with this bike, is that its torque curve is almost linear on all the RPM range. Its torque peak is at 12,500 and its HP peak at 14,500 RMP.

I have a 12 km ride to go to work. It's mostly highway. I get on the highway on the first gear around one hundred something kilometers Then I shift on the second gear, when my engine start to kick back. I do it almost every morning.

So, again, if it would be harmfull, it would be a long time this 2007 R6 engine would have been dead. If your engine break in is done, then go for it. This bike only ask for it.

BTW, my 2007 R6 don't have any mods. Everything is stock on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could sit on rev limiter for 20mins and do nothing to the bike. They are built and designed for every bit of razzing and abuse that you can throw it! :D

·
R6 Pilot
647 Posts
Holy thread revival batman!

·
Broken Give-A-**** Meter
216 Posts
from what i can tell there's a lot of dumbass things said in the oldass thread :fact

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 r1 tops out at 113 in first on mine with stock gear ratio. Doesn't power wheelie without a lot of body english, until you hit at least 55 mph.

·
Touchdown!
1,288 Posts
If memory serves me correct, the '06-'07 R6 will hit about 79 mph. The '08-'16 R6 will do 80 or 81 mph.

The '07-'08 R1 will hit between 99 and 101 mph in first gear. I haven't look into the cross planes and what they can do.

I do know that my R6 can break just about every speed limit in the continental US - alomst. I think there's a speed limit in Texas or Arizona (can't quiet remember where) that's 80 mph. Some quick research will show you.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
This is an ancient thread. (2005)
When I first got it and was getting comfortable with throttle control and shifting in a (large) empty parking lot, had it to about 70mph in first. I don't think I've ever red-lined any vehicle I've owned. Power curve typically drops off well before redline so it's advantageous (for multiple reasons) not to redline it. But if just in a 0-50mph race against a dang fast opponent...

Something to keep in mind:
12,500 RPM means your piston moves up then down, ~208 times in a single second.
One up then down movement takes just 0.0048 second.

The forces on those parts are unimaginable. It's engineered to handle that and more, but this also greatly accelerates wear.

I'm closing in on 50k and the engine hasn't been cracked open... even for a valve job. Throttle isn't nearly as twitchy but still runs good. The 27F Winter starts will be the real test on how much longer. Used to start at lower temps (~20F) but deem that too risky now. Don't want to be stranded. Just wasn't designed for it. (tiny battery)

·
Touchdown!
1,288 Posts
It was bumped a few times over the years. I noticed that as I read through it.

Also, yes, Yamaha does a phenomenal job with their materials and mechanical engineering. The piston doesn't contact the cylinder walls, but the rings do. If they are seated properly early on in their careers, they'll last 100k miles without breaking a sweat. Good service intervals and proper maintenence, and the engines on these things can last a VERY long time.

Additionally on the R6, the power drop off is around 14.5k RPMs (I have my shift light set just about there). The redline is at 16.5k RPMs. I can't say with certainty at which point a piston or rod would let go, but taking an educated guess that Yamaha backed it off approximately 10-20% of max revolutions through testing, you can probably get away with revving it to 18k RPMs or maybe even 20k RPMs although it most likely is making significantly less power than anywhere in the powerband.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts