Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else track a 1st gen R6? I recently wrecked mine got a pretty bad concussion and decided to completely tear down and start from scratch. Long story short I picked up my 2000 R6 for $600 runs and drive.
I've got a few questions and looking for some help or ideas. This is my first full track build.

I've redone the wiring and planned on removing the clutch side switches, but worried about the choke. Any suggestions on possibly relocating that? Im also looking into doing a keyless entry. Any suggestions on how to wire that to just a simple small toggle switch?

Im sure I will have more questions the more I start putting thing back together. I replacing every nut and bolt on the bike. The put way to much trust in the kid I bought it from and the bike was literally put together with just random hardware and nothing matched...:surprise: Any help tips, tricks or ideas are very appreciated !

Attachments

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the left side switches and such. You will probably still want the clutch switch so you can start in gear. And of course the choke. No one else removes the left side stuff. Replacing the key with a toggle switch is easy. I can't recall the color codes, but there are only 4 wires and it is obvious when you look at a wiring diagram. The Gen1 is a fine track bike. Concentrate on getting the suspension right for your weight. If you don't have tire warmers get some Q4's for the track.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't worry about the left side switches and such. You will probably still want the clutch switch so you can start in gear. And of course the choke. No one else removes the left side stuff. Replacing the key with a toggle switch is easy. I can't recall the color codes, but there are only 4 wires and it is obvious when you look at a wiring diagram. The Gen1 is a fine track bike. Concentrate on getting the suspension right for your weight. If you don't have tire warmers get some Q4's for the track.
I was thinking about that too. I've been in the garage every single night doing little by little trying to do this the right way. Im still debating on repainting the frame and swing arm. I did wet sand it and clean it to but still doesnt look "nice" Ive pulled all the wiring out for any lights and cleaned that up in some nice wiring looms. Cleaned and degreased the motor. Im replacing all the main wearable items like sprockets, tires and what not. Started drilling bolts for safety wiring. I do have a set of Q4s waiting for it and tire warmers. I got a base suspension tune on it now that I had done when I took it to its first track day. I plan on doing everything the correct way so I dont end up on the ground again

·
Registered
58 Posts
We just finished relocating the choke lever on my son's bike. We used a lever from a fzr600 (it mounted on the frame, between the frame and fairing) and mounted it to the front sprocket cover. Of course this required building a custom cable, but it does look quite nice down there.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I was thinking about that too. I've been in the garage every single night doing little by little trying to do this the right way. Im still debating on repainting the frame and swing arm. I did wet sand it and clean it to but still doesnt look "nice" Ive pulled all the wiring out for any lights and cleaned that up in some nice wiring looms. Cleaned and degreased the motor. Im replacing all the main wearable items like sprockets, tires and what not. Started drilling bolts for safety wiring. I do have a set of Q4s waiting for it and tire warmers. I got a base suspension tune on it now that I had done when I took it to its first track day. I plan on doing everything the correct way so I dont end up on the ground again
It sounds like you have the right attitude and are going about getting the bike ready for the track logically. Just don't put too much time, effort, or money into aesthetics. Doing things the 'correct way' has nothing to do with ending up on the ground. You WILL end up on the ground sooner or later.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like you have the right attitude and are going about getting the bike ready for the track logically. Just don't put too much time, effort, or money into aesthetics. Doing things the 'correct way' has nothing to do with ending up on the ground. You WILL end up on the ground sooner or later.
Bikes been sitting since its been cold in the garage. Finally, got a great deal on a set of race fairings for the bike so I now have the motivation to start working on it again. Hopefully, if I can keep the garage warm enough I can finish the controls and get the carbs back on.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
My first track bike was a first gen and I loved it. Rebuilt it from the frame up just like you are and for the same reason; so I knew everything was right. Eliminated the left side switches, bypassed the clutch and sidestand switches, and went very simple with the choke cable. Just cut off the end and use a cable ferrule to make a small loop in the end of the cable. Pull it with your finger to choke it. Not necessarily very aesthetically pleasing, but functional... and track bike, lol.

Also, I hope you marked all of your wiring connectors for reassembly. Otherwise you'll find that most of the 2 wire connectors are identical and can be plugged into multiple locations, only 1 of which is correct. Ask me how I learned that... the wiring schematic will be your friend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So heres the latest update. The bike is DONE and has seen the track for the first time this season!! For having the whole thing ripped apart I must admit it did better than I imagined. I started the day off at 2:11 and ended the day at a 1:59 at NJMP Thunderbolt. First session was wet so I babied it, second session I blew a coolant hose and and third session i blew the fuel pump hose in half. Managed to put a temporary fix on it which ended up starving the pump and only giving enough fuel up to 11,000 RPM. Took it home the same night, made all new hoses and lowered the front triple tree to the 1/2" it was suppose to be at.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
So heres the latest update. The bike is DONE and has seen the track for the first time this season!! For having the whole thing ripped apart I must admit it did better than I imagined. I started the day off at 2:11 and ended the day at a 1:59 at NJMP Thunderbolt. First session was wet so I babied it, second session I blew a coolant hose and and third session i blew the fuel pump hose in half. Managed to put a temporary fix on it which ended up starving the pump and only giving enough fuel up to 11,000 RPM. Took it home the same night, made all new hoses and lowered the front triple tree to the 1/2" it was suppose to be at.
Hello, I want to convert my 1st gen R6 into a track bike as you. Could you detail how did you do the keyless ignition? I found a post here in the forum but it is for the 2nd gen and above.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What do you have for a clutch? Returned from my last track day yesterday with full intention of converting it to a slipper clutch. Also, my bike seems to “wheeze” in second gear & up between 2500 and about 7k rpm. I’m thinking the jetting is off but those familiar with R6 are telling me it’s the nature of the beast and I just need to row the gears. I had a 2001 ZX6R last season and it didn’t feel that weak in the low to mid range. Don’t want to bogart your thread, just interested in hearing your experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts