Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, This will be my first post and I will include to you the entire story of why i haven't been on here in a while...

I registered on here a few weeks before I bought my 07 r6 in april of last year (if i remember correctly). I have grown up on dirt bikes of all sizes and we well experience on the "2 wheels" but mostly on dirt..

my first road bike was a Kawaski ninja 250 that i bought in august or so of 06... rode that through the remainder of the summer and through out the nice days of winter until april 20th of 07 i traded it in for my r6 bc i felt like i was ready for a bigger one...

well at first i didn't ride it all that much.. bc i was a little worried about being with so much power... but got used to it quickly and was riding to work everyday and back and out on it on the weekends..

up until JUly 4th when the tragic happened..

I was on my way home from work the 45 or so minute ride at about 430pm (and none of this is from memory - its from talking to the driver and family and doctors), I was about 3 miles from my house doing 50 mph in a 45 mph zone when a young girl of 21 driving her boyfriends construction truck (07 f-250) didn't see me and decided to swerve left into oncoming traffic - which was me. so both of us doing 50 mph or so and I collided into her truck at impact speed of 100 mph. I was found 40 yars from point of impact up in the trees that were next to the road.

When the ambulance got there I was pronounced dead at the scene after multiple rounds of cpr and somehow revived once the chopper got there. I was life flighted to Atlanta Medical Center, in surgery for 19 hours, and didn't wake up after that for 29 days. during the coma i lost 45 pounds and my ability to walk and talk clearly - all of which had to be relearned. I could talk but it was very mumbly and incoherent. alot of groans and writing on paper. I had no idea what happened until 2 days after i woke up having a conversation with my brother about how he bought a bike and I said "well yea i'll go out riding with you when i get out of here." at which point i flipped out completely and was put to sleep for another 2 days.

after dieing, breaking my back twice, lacerated kidneys, intestines, and colon ruptured spleen, 27 staples, 41 stitches, temporary paralysis of my left arm and severe nerve damage on left side of my body i am back alive and ready to get on another bike. Unfortunately, or fortunately (whichever you prefer to think) the life lasting problems consist of moderate memory loss, constant severe pain in my arm and shoulder, and epilepsy.

After that I decided that Atlanta was way to "fast forward" for me so I had to leave and go to a more chill place.. Now I am in Honolulu relaxing and working my ass off as hard as I can with 1.5 arms :)

I have enlosed a few pics also to the thread so you guys can see a couple shots..

needless to say i totaled the bike out.. but to my surprise totaled the truck out as well...

This is my left leg about 2 weeks after:

this is my helmet:

this is the truck:

my bike: #1

me in a coma #1

The girl that hit me had only been living in Atlanta for 3 days and she didn't know where she was going. Trying to get back to her house. She was not drinking, it was a complete accident, so I definately don't hate her. We have talked afterwards and actually hung out a few times. Don't talk hardly at all anymore, I THINK she was into drugs alot and I'm not at all so I don't like to be around the shit...

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Man, I'm so sorry to hear about this tragety. I hope everything is going ok. I'm very happy to hear you have recovered, as best you can, from this incident. I hope you stay on the fourm with us. If nothing more than we are your family. Thanks for sharing this with us.

·
Registered
115 Posts
first of all welcome to the forum. second man glad you're doing alright. i have yet to wreck that bad but your story reminds me of my dad when he was around 22 he wreck his first bike because a truck ran a red light he too was declared dead around 9 times. what happened though is he took out the A-pillar on a little pick up. broke everybone in his head. but he made a complete recovery. i guess what i'm trying to say is shit happens to good people you just have to learn from it and get back on the horse. good luck with the recovery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for all the kind words..

I'm going tomorrow morning to look at a new r6 again. I really liked the feel of the r6 when I had it. I rode a friends cbr600 and my dads gsxr 600 and his ninja zx6r - and they were nothing the same. Although the comfort level on the gsxr was a little better on long rides 2 hours+ i love the r6 location of the gauges and easy to read at a glimpse.

I would contemplate getting a R1 but living on an island so small its not necessary to have all that power when you rarely get up over 60 mph.

But all the windy roads up in the mountains will be tons o fun!

:YEA

I'm pretty excited to finally get back on one. I thought I would be done, so I went and bought a boat and a jetski but.. I just can't stay away from 2 wheels :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Man, thanks for sharing that story. The left hand turns from cagers is the sux and this is just another reminder of being careful.

Glad you are ok and more importantly, glad you are getting back on the R6 Iron Horse. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Man, thanks for sharing that story. The left hand turns from cagers is the sux and this is just another reminder of being careful.

Glad you are ok and more importantly, glad you are getting back on the R6 Iron Horse. :)
thx.. its been almost a year and even still - while typing that story i had tears falling from my face.. it sucks to even think about...

i personally think the worst part about it all is that while i was in the coma i remember having these horrible dreams - god awful nightmares, and i remember them like it was yesterday so vivid and everything.. and even still i can't sleep an entire night.. sometimes im up for 2 or 3 dayson 30 mins of sleep and i get 1 hour and fling back up again bc reliving the dream..

but as i keep telling my mom (who is now even more hateful towards motorcycles) "you can take the bike away from me, but you will never take me away from the bike." :toocool: :YEA

fyi: I tried explaining to her 90% of the time its not the cyclist fault.. its the drivers.. but.. you know how it is.. "Sometimes, parents just don't understand." :roll:

·
Registered
167 Posts
thx.. its been almost a year and even still - while typing that story i had tears falling from my face.. it sucks to even think about...
I'd be bawling my ass off. You went through something horrid.

What were the nightmares of? The accident? Or was the mind completely trying to run away from you? Sorry to ask painful question, just curious.

Parents will not understand. Their function is to protect you. The thought of many of us would rather be dead if we can't ride doesn't come in to comprehension for them. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be bawling my ass off. You went through something horrid.

What were the nightmares of? The accident? Or was the mind completely trying to run away from you? Sorry to ask painful question, just curious.

Parents will not understand. Their function is to protect you. The thought of many of us would rather be dead if we can't ride doesn't come in to comprehension for them. ;)
well.. I'll try to keep the descriptions short and sweet because I can get far far into detail sometimes..

When I first woke up after the month down I was fine, mentally, I just woke up laughing, trying to talk, writing, having a good time in the hospital. but its bc of the dreams:

It all started where I was in a asian place, like Tokyo or whatever. I was with my family, and we were walking through downtown (looked to be like times square but just in asia - lol) and it was dark and drizzling and a guy was standing outside his restaurant and asked if i was hungry to check out his food - so being in japan ihad to try some japanese food. well i went in and decided not to get anything and upon leaving they grabbed me and took me in the back, cut my kidney out and left me there in the road. (this is where I woke up during surgery bc i remember the surgeons, and described them to my family before they told me anything about it) I had to be "shipped" back to the US on a boat but in order for me to stay alive I had to be placed in a body bag and put in the back back of the boat in a big crate of ice. (In real life this is when I was being put in a bathtub of ice bc i was constantly running 107 fevers). well we got to the US and I had to go back to japan, on the boat (back in the bathtub) and they decided to fix me in japan and then i had to be shipped back to the US (back in the bathtub).

that is the reason I am deathly afraid of any type of chinese/japanese food.

It's is kind of funny, i guess if you think about it, but its really crazy at the same time.

after that in the dream I got my kidney back, was released and was staying with a friend to recoup. The friend that was taking care of me in my dream was the ICU nurse that was taking care of me in the hospital.

and even in my dream I always had this animal type thing that would always fck with my legs and squeeze them n everything, well, if anyone knows anything about being in a coma, they put these things on ur legs that constantly massage them so you dont get muscle deterioration. thats what that was.

and in my dream I couldn't breath very well bc i kept inhaling dust and liquid, well in real life it was the blood i was coughing/vomiting. i also didn't include this in first post but I had a collapsed lung and couldn't breath on my own so was put on a ventilator, and a chest tube was placed through my left side and into my lung about the width of a dime or so to inject oxygen directly into my lung. after that I got pnemonia (sp?) and couldn't breath either.

I also had 3 tubes in a triangle fashion placed directly into my heart; 1 for the morphine, and 2 for other things... food and what not.

after that in the dream, me and my brother opened up this huge motorcycle shop in florida. a monster of a place, 2 stories, maintenance, sales, service, everything, choppers, harleys, every brand name bike you could buy just about. which that was not a nightmare - still waiting for that one to come true :D

and that is the reason why - after waking up my brother was telling me about his bike and when i told him i would go riding with him when i got out, he kinda glanced over at my mom and she glanced at me and i was like "???, whats wrong?"

and my bro said I don't even have a bike anymore - thats when all hell broke loose for the second time. I started screaming and yelling and fighting. i thought someone stole my bike or a fam member went behind me and sold it or something. they had to strap my hands and feet and waist to the bed because i kept fighting and they manually put me back into a coma bc they decided maybe i wasn't ready to come back yet...

whew.. sorry so long if you made it through all that - congrats..

·
Healed.
1,084 Posts
God bless and I wish you the best with your second chance in life. You sound like a very positive person and that always helps getting through the hard parts in life. Thanks for sharing your story, as a newB it makes me realize how careful I have to be. Thanks again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Holy #@*&#@ that is some rough stuff, bro.

I don't want to sound like a Jewish Grandmother but have you seen a therapist for this? They are EXTREMELY helpful and will allow you to alleviate a lot of those fears.

Keep in touch, let us know how you are progressing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Man.......I dont even know what to say.......I understand your situation perfectly........July 5th 1987, I got slammed by a drunk driver while sitting at a traffic light.....She hit me from behind but luckly i was first at the light.....They estimated the impact around 40 mph, When it was over my bike was under her car and her left front wheel was off the ground....It shifted my spine and caused slight paralysis during my stay in the hospital......It kept me from going in the Marine Corps:usa and i struggled to finish my last year of high school......BUUUUTTTT as soon as i could ,I got back on another bike and kept my passion alive.......Twenty years and im still riding almost everyday, Its inspiring to see your not running from this dangerous passion we all share.....Life is a challenge everyday for all of us to keep from getting hurt by mostly stupid drivers, but defensive thinking has kept me ahead of the game many times over the years......I hope everyone really thinks about what happened to you and learns from it, Meaning just because the law says cars shouldnt run us over, Doesnt mean they wont....BE DEFENSIVE EVERYDAY......Through a lifetime of martial arts and tactictal fighting, ive learned how to be tacticlly defensive and always be aware of my complete surroundings...... There (CARS) coming for me (LOL) but there going to have to be DAMN GOOD to take me out again..........GODSPEED my friend......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx guys again for all the kind words..

i did spend the first 8 months with a therapist.. and it did help alot.. sometimes i feel i really need to go back but the position I am in right now its not possible. Hawaii has a month+ long wait list just to get a doctor appt. not to mention therapist aren't that common here. there was about a month where i was in phyiscal and emotional therapy everyday m-f. during that i couldn't wait to never have to talk to one of them again - but now.. its hard to stay away :/

you need what you need i guess.. i have definately learned alot - especially seeking emotional help does not mean you are a puss or w/e people like to say.

"Don't ever mistake kindness as a weakness" is what I keep telling myself.

Sometimes I say it depends on where you live if you should have a bike or not. IE: if you live in ATL, NYC, LAX, LAS - stay the hell away from them unless you are OUT of the city in the country somewhere bc ppl now a days just dont no how to drive - it kills me. ( almost literally heh)

but then i realize if i still lived in a big city you still can't take me away from my bike.

in hawaii where i am now its quite chill - no one rarely gets above 40 mph unless your on the freeway and thats 55mph with not enough room to do over 80. so.. 2nd n 3rd gear are all you really use here. TONS of traffic (which can be a good thing I think because here its not the steady 55mph traffic, its the 2 mph, stop, 2 mph, stop traffic.

no helmet law here tho and it makes me :flame when i see people ride with no helmet.

thx guys again.. im off to bed..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Holy #@*&#@ that is some rough stuff, bro.

I don't want to sound like a Jewish Grandmother but have you seen a therapist for this? They are EXTREMELY helpful and will allow you to alleviate a lot of those fears.

Keep in touch, let us know how you are progressing.
Well trained therapists are a Godsend....They have changed my life in many positive ways, and ive met some very good friends in group classes.....I have epilepsy also and its a very hard thing to deal with..... Some people joke that therapists are for crazy people LOL...... Ol WELL, does that mean im crazy?(LOL) .....Were all crazy!!!!!!!!!......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH:toocool:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Were all crazy!!!!!!!!
We must be. But what's the problem with that? ;)

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
That's an amazing story, dude. I can only hope that I am as lucky as you if something like that ever happens to me. I wish you the best, and I'm glad to hear you're back on the bike again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad to hear that you had a good recovery. :YEA Kind of crazy when you go down...when my mother crashed, she didn't remember a thing until she was in the ER. She was up and talking to the cop until the EMT arrived. Do you know if you were talking or moving around in the elapsed time? Same thing with my best friend this summer, he sat talking to the cop and we all thought he was fine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wowwww, man i'm sorry all this happened to you...I feel really bad you got the crappy end of the moto stick...I just picked up a r6 myself and have only been riding a week, it's stories like this that are the reason i'm still afraid to ride.

Glad your alive and still kicking all the while not being bitter about the whole thing.

Thanks for the story, it's put me back in perspective about what could happen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts