Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gonna change my first tire pretty soon. I almost have 3,000 miles on the bike. Is that normal tire wear? and if not should i be putting a different tire on? i was just gonna replace w/ the oem. which is the dunlop qualifier...

thanks..

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
get the pilot power everyone here swears by them.......me personally get the power race tires....the best bang for your buck if your bike is 90% on it's side

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
i was able to get 10k miles out of my set of qualifiers. I just purchased another set which should be here tomorrow or monday. I don't ride to many twisties or hit the track so the qualifiers work for me.

·
Cut corners is what I do
62 Posts
Thats quit normal if you drive it the way the R6 are build for... I went about 2500 miles on mine...

I have changed to Brigedstone BT016 now.. Much better tyre. Better feeling and a lot more confidence..

Frankieg22X.. 10.000 Miles one one set of tyres on an R6.... Damm.... By a moped dude... Becurse you dont deserve an R6...:thumbdown

·
No more side boob for you
1,136 Posts
i got over 7000 miles on my qualifiers, and thats hitting the twisties along with work riding. my set of 2CTs should be here tomorrow or the next. cant wait.

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
not to thread jack but...

how much of a pain in the ass is it going to be to take the front and rear wheels off. I gotta get them off and take them to get the new tires mounted and then put them back on.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I like the power races, the BT002s, and the Corsas. I am not a fan of the qualifiers, at all.

Taking the wheels off is pretty easy if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment. You need tools and stands to do it safely, but honestly, you should have that stuff anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i love to ride. and to me riding is hitting it pretty hard. This is my 1st "real" bike. i had a 96 Katana b4 i bought this. And i have every bit of confidence in these tires. never broke free on me and i don't slouch laying into the turns. So if another tire adds more confidence i'm gonna be stunned!

anyway i was lookin on motorcycle superstore and i think i have it narrowed down to these:
the Metzeler sportec MS
Pirelli Diablo Corsa III
Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT

thanks...

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
Frankieg22X.. 10.000 Miles one one set of tyres on an R6.... Damm.... By a moped dude... Becurse you dont deserve an R6...:thumbdown
na man. When i first got it I was riding just to ride and enjoy myself. I was hitting twisties and doing wheelies but a lot of those miles were on the highway commuting. The qualifiers are obviously a tough tire and take some abuse.

Hate if you want but atleast I didn't have to put on 4 sets already at $250 a pair.:fact

·
Kasanova
387 Posts
I wish I could have gotten 10K miles out of my Qualifiers! 5.5k and I can see a 4" thin strip of steel belt showing.

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
mine are just starting to cut through in the center. I probably could have gotten a couple hundred more out of them but i'll just change them now.

·
Blue
51 Posts
My brother and I run Quals, his R1 and my R6. We get 3 hard trackdays and 2500 street miles before they give up the ghost. However, I am lookin into the supercorsa pro's as the next set.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 06 R6 that I purchased from a guy who had used it to put 1800 miles on it. I have put another 1500 miles on the bike and now the rear tire (Dunlop Qualifier) has developed flat surfaces in the middle. I do maintain 38 PSI in the rear tire and 35 PSI in the front and check tire pressure regularly. No, I do not do burn outs and no aggressive riding as well
Today I took my bike to the neighborhood cycle gear store to get a second opinion on the tire condition and the rep suggested that I get my tire replaced. He said that the flat surface would have been due to prolonged straight rides and also due to irregular tire pressure being maintained by the previous owner.
The store is currently running a sale on Dunlop Qualifiers and a pair would cost me $200. Is it time replace my tires? What do you guys think of the price on the tires?

Thanks

·
VVVVVVRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMM
221 Posts
Well this is my opinion. I've personally gotten 3600 miles out of my stock tires. I do ride twisties and love having the bike on its side. No burnouts. Period. I got my bike back from the dealer yesterday and he said he wouldn't ride on my tires anymore. I personally hate the dunlops. I do not feel confident on them. I would say the first 800 miles were okay.. but ever since then... No. I think my next set will be the pilot powers. I was looking at getting the super corsa 3's but everyone swears by the pp's so I will be getting those next. So if I were you... not riding hard or anything.. I would still look to another tire. They might encourage a little more confidence into your ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The other day I was trying to bring my bike to a stop from 80 mph and my rear tire started to wave around under me.I decided to let go off the brakes so that the bike can straighten itself. I do keep facing this issue about not being able to slow down in time. At turns as well, I try to lean my bike as much as possible but I just do not get the confidence. I was thinking it may be the worn out tire but if this problem is going to repeat itself with new Dunlop Qualifiers as well, I might look at a different brand. Is there a thread that I can read for tire reviews?

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
This is gonna sound stupid as hell... qualifiers = stock tires?

I got a price tag on pirelli diablo corsa iii's for $314 balanced.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, the qualifiers are the stock tires on the bike.
I did notice, you have a 08 R6. Is this your first tire change. How many miles did you put on your bike before you had to replace the "stock" tires?

·
Living 1/4 mile at a time
1,143 Posts
I just made the switch at 6800 miles. went over to a set of balanced Pilot Powers, the difference was night and day. Highly recommended!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts