Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
* * * Punisher * * *
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when im in first going to second in mid rpm its a hard shift, is this normal?

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Have you had your oil changed lately?

·
* * * Punisher * * *
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a 2005 and i just changed the oil like a month ago with motul

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
our gen R6 was known for a clunky stiff shifting transmission. sounds pretty typical.
something you'll get better at the more you ride it.
sometimes mine is overly clunky and other times I get it just right and it's butter smooth.
the higher you take the rpms, the smoother it gets too. remember these things are meant to be ridden at those higher rpms racing. not so much for poking around on city streets like a cadillac is. so there will be some compromising.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
i sometimes here the grind of the neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd, i think its because i don't let off the throttle all the way..but when i do, i do hear the shift, but it is pretty smooth though when i'm completely off the gas.

·
Registered
327 Posts
our gen R6 was known for a clunky stiff shifting transmission. sounds pretty typical.
sometimes mine is overly clunky and other times I get it just right and it's butter smooth.
the higher you take the rpms, the smoother it gets too. remember these things are meant to be ridden at those higher rpms racing. not so much for poking around on city streets like a cadillac is. so there will be some compromising.
Couldn't have worded that better :fact

·
loves riding his 6
802 Posts
yea our gens do feel like the shift is clunky, but check the oil level, lube the chain and the shifter, see if that helps. my 1-2 shifts are usually rougher than others, maybe cuz im shifting beyond 10k. either that, or i need to work on my 1-2 shifts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine is definitely quite clunky. Although mine seems to get worse with higher RPM's. When I shift from 1-2 at say, 14k, i hear a very loud clunk, and can feel it through the seat and pegs. Is that normal? My clutch is adjusted right, and I have about 800 miles on this oil change with relatively easy riding on it.

BTW when upshifting, 1-2 is the only shift I use the clutch on, the rest are clutchless upshifts and smooth as butter.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
AND... some of the early R6 had 1st to 2nd issue... I think just '99 & '00...
99-02. My 02 isn't the smoothest into 2nd, that's for sure. It never felt REALLY bad to me until I got this 08 with 1k on it. 1-2 shift is silky smooth at any RPM. I couldn't be any happier about it.

But I wouldn't sweat it. I just try to follow thru on my 1-2 a little more than the other shifts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts