Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im going down to barber in march for my second track day. last time i was on the street bike put a new set of rubber in and went. now i have sold that and have a track only bike. im new to all of this and not really sure what needs to be done. tire choice im only gonna be on the track 3 or 4 times a year do i need to buy take offs and trash them after or will a good set last and be ok sitting in the garage tire size what are all the advantages and disadvantages in the 180/55 180/50 and the 190s tire pressure what do i need to run and how does it effect riding? oil oil filter the list goes on not looking to break the bank just looking to have fun. tips and hints anything and everything is appreciated. thanks in advance

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
sick bro. Post pics of the track bike.

Just get some good street/track tires and go bro. 2cts, pirelli supercorsa SP's, Dunlop Q2's, etc..

Unless you're a fast rider, they are good up to and thru intermediate pace for most people.

If I bought a track bike, I would bring it to the shop I goto and have them go over the bike completely. You have no clue the amount of bullshit rubber banded and half-assed fixes we all have found on the track bikes in our group of riders!

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
sick bro. Post pics of the track bike.

Just get some good street/track tires and go bro. 2cts, pirelli supercorsa SP's, Dunlop Q2's, etc..

Unless you're a fast rider, they are good up to and thru intermediate pace for most people.

If I bought a track bike, I would bring it to the shop I goto and have them go over the bike completely. You have no clue the amount of bullshit rubber banded and half-assed fixes we all have found on the track bikes in our group of riders!
:werd

And welcome to the family of being broke:cheers

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
If the first gen uses a 60 profile front, you may want to switch to a 70 and lower the front end accordingly. The rounder profile improves turn-in. 30 psi works well for most street tires. I've heard Power Pures work better a little lower. You may need to adjust a few psi up or down depending on the ambient temperature. You can always check with the track side tire vendor for recommendations.

Like Chief says, a good track day oriented street tire should be fine for you until you get faster.

At minimum, go over everything they're going to check at tech inspection. Go over the brakes, make sure all the controls work correctly, return springs work right. Check all fasteners that hold back fluid. Oil filler, drain plug, coolant drains, etc. Make sure the chain and sprockets are in good condition. Brake pads & fluid.

If you're only doing 3-4 track days a season, you should be able to get away with doing an oil change once a season. Fork oil changes every couple of seasons. If you don't know when the suspension has last been refreshed, you should do that. Visit the suspension guy your first time out and get the bike setup for you.

That should give you a good start!

·
Black & Yellow
473 Posts
so im going down to barber in march for my second track day. last time i was on the street bike put a new set of rubber in and went. now i have sold that and have a track only bike. im new to all of this and not really sure what needs to be done. tire choice im only gonna be on the track 3 or 4 times a year do i need to buy take offs and trash them after or will a good set last and be ok sitting in the garage tire size what are all the advantages and disadvantages in the 180/55 180/50 and the 190s tire pressure what do i need to run and how does it effect riding? oil oil filter the list goes on not looking to break the bank just looking to have fun. tips and hints anything and everything is appreciated. thanks in advance
I may see you up there. I don't have my track schedule in front of me tho. Which dates/organization you rolling with?

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may see you up there. I don't have my track schedule in front of me tho. Which dates/organization you rolling with?
STT March 12th i think it is.

the bike was bought brand new by a css racer he put an 01 motor in and totally striped it down. race wire harness. cut the sub frame back. he put light weight hose pipe to repace some tubing. Im not sure what the hell is going on with it but he obviosly new what he was doing i got a 2 inch binder full of receipts and notes. he ran for 1 season and then sold it to the guy i bought it from who ran one wera season and a hand full of track days so the bike is still young and looks like it has been very well maintained he estimated it to be around 3k to 5k on the odo but becasue the wire harness it does not work. front end has been lowered a little and the back raised a little.

what kind of price am i looking at to get the suspension freshend up?

what kind of oil should i put in and oil filter?

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Nice! You'll have a blast. I raced a couple seasons on a Gen1. Great bike.

Find out what trackside tire vendors will be there and choose your tires accordingly. It helps a ton to have support with tire pressures, wear, etc. Or even show up the night before and camp, then get your tires then.

Looks like your bike is prepped, but double-check the calipers, wheel bolts, etc are tight, the chain is adjusted, there's oil in it, and there's a non-glycol coolant in the radiator and you should be ready to go.

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
STT March 12th i think it is.

the bike was bought brand new by a css racer he put an 01 motor in and totally striped it down. race wire harness. cut the sub frame back. he put light weight hose pipe to repace some tubing. Im not sure what the hell is going on with it but he obviosly new what he was doing i got a 2 inch binder full of receipts and notes. he ran for 1 season and then sold it to the guy i bought it from who ran one wera season and a hand full of track days so the bike is still young and looks like it has been very well maintained he estimated it to be around 3k to 5k on the odo but becasue the wire harness it does not work. front end has been lowered a little and the back raised a little.

what kind of price am i looking at to get the suspension freshend up?

what kind of oil should i put in and oil filter?

Sweet!! I will be there that weekend! It is the 10th-11th of March btw. :)

I got my suspension setup, forks rebuilt (new fluid and seals) for $350 I believe. I paid a little more than normal but I had to get it done in a rush, day before a trackday.

K&N Filter BTW, you can order them online, they come predrilled for safety wiring.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I got my suspension setup, forks rebuilt (new fluid and seals) for $350 I believe. I paid a little more than normal but I had to get it done in a rush, day before a trackday.
Yeah, I had my forks refreshed, and shock refreshed & revalved for exactly that much. If you just need the refresh it should be a bit less than that.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
they caan set sag and the clickers those type of settings. I never heard of them doing full rebuilds, thats a bit much for a side vendor
edit: if you have the mechanical skill, you can do new fluid and seals for 150 including all the tools, fluid, and seals. It takes bout 3 hours the first time you ever do it.

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,619 Posts
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
That thing looks sweet! Front looks close to stock height, just has the illusion of being lowered with the Vortex clip ons. OE clip ons are on top of the upper triple tree. Looks like you have extra skins too, nice!

I love my 1st gen :toocool:

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
They will do this at the track? Gonna do my first one this spring but my suspension definitely needs to be looked at
Getting the oil & seals changed (eg, 'refresh') will have to happen at a shop.

You can get the settings dialed in at the track.

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if i pay for them to set up the suspension while im there and come back and get new oil and seals will i need to have it set up again before the next time out or will it still be ok?

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the bike has the gp shift set up going and it does not seem like its gonna work out for me just doesn't seem comfortable with toes on top of the shifter.. what are the advantages and disadvantages of it. I dont feel comfortable and relaxed when i sit on it with toes on top of the shifter, and i also feel like im puting to much pressure on it when im tucked is that the way its supposed to be can i change the angle of it? or does it just take some getting used to??

also I have an HJC helmet dot and snell approved is a arai or shoei 500 dollar helmet really that much safer or is it just a lighter helmet. really dont wanna break the bank.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
the bike has the gp shift set up going and it does not seem like its gonna work out for me just doesn't seem comfortable with toes on top of the shifter.. what are the advantages and disadvantages of it. I dont feel comfortable and relaxed when i sit on it with toes on top of the shifter, and i also feel like im puting to much pressure on it when im tucked is that the way its supposed to be can i change the angle of it? or does it just take some getting used to??

also I have an HJC helmet dot and snell approved is a arai or shoei 500 dollar helmet really that much safer or is it just a lighter helmet. really dont wanna break the bank.
With GP shift setup you're not going to ride with your foot on the shift or break. You want to ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs and move them forward when you shift... GP shift does take some getting used to, but it will help in the long run. It's so you dont drag your toes/get your foot caught coming out of the turn in preparation to shift! Once you get used to it you'll love it! It's just strange at first... Because we were taught the standard way on so many other machines... It was always fun when I'd take my Honda TRX 450 out after riding the bike for awhile! I'd be stomping that thing down flying through the woods. One of the times it kicked/downshifted hard enough to buck my up over the handlebars... :laugh

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle App

·
Derp
1,308 Posts

Mud,

STT (which is who you are riding with) has a GREAT Novice program. They will teach you where to place your feet, body position, etc etc. You will learn a lot the first 4 sessions of the day. Then if you are still not comfortable you can find a Novice coach and have him shadow you and work with you 1 on 1. They are a fantastic group.

I say leave your bike GP shift. Try it out, go ride it on the street around the block or something just to get acquainted with it. GP shift allows you to UP shift in the middle/exit of a turn when you are still leaned over. You can't do that with a normal shift setup because you can't get your foot under the shifter.

Don't worry about the price of the helmet, your HJC will be fine. They all have the same tests for the rating. A $500 helmet goes through the same tests as a $200 helmet. It's mostly the name, style, weight and design that makes each a different price.

If you got any questions for the STT guys, a lot of the coaches hang out here:

http://www.sttforum.com

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
if i pay for them to set up the suspension while im there and come back and get new oil and seals will i need to have it set up again before the next time out or will it still be ok?
You will need it setup again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts