Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
miss my R6
5 Posts
I'm not sure but I think you'll run into clearance issues with a -2 front. I went with -1/+2 on my 06 R6 and its great. Best mod for the money.

·
Come on you Bezzy
96 Posts
agreed, i9 think clearence will be an issue, i went -1 / +4 for getting ready for the track

·
Registered
695 Posts
C_thru said:
agreed, i9 think clearence will be an issue, i went -1 / +4 for getting ready for the track
for which track? thats gonna be crazy! way too much at the track, thats like stunting gearing

·
Registered
89 Posts
i've got -1/+4 right now. can't beat the pull in 2nd and 3rd, but i'm planning on going to a -1/+2 or something so that it's a little more tame.

·
R6 Symbient Organism
414 Posts
I wanna go -1/+2 and have read the other threads on this but I don't wanna screw with a chain breaker. Anybody know where I can order a kit that gives the sprockets and chain pre-sized for my 05r6 ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just ordered the DRIVEN -1/+2 kit. I was looking for a thread like this one before I ordered it. Fortunately, it looks like I made the right choice going -1/ +2. It comes with a 520 RK gold chain too. Can't wait.

·
Registered
26 Posts
F1ERCE said:
I wanna go -1/+2 and have read the other threads on this but I don't wanna screw with a chain breaker. Anybody know where I can order a kit that gives the sprockets and chain pre-sized for my 05r6 ?

ebay, kneedraggers.com, DRIVEN makes a nice kit, I just ordered one.

·
R6 Symbient Organism
414 Posts
Heh, read your post too late.
I broke down and got a kit and chain breaker from Motomummy.

hmmm, guess I'll have a used-once chain breaker for sale soon :p

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I think it depends on the bike...I had an 01 that LOVED -2/+2...or maybe I loved it. It would do wheelies like no ones business and all, but it is not top speed friendly. I found it to be pretty awesome for the tight, twisty roads, allowing you the option of two gears most of the time which can be nice on the non-slipper clutch equipped bikes. It is definitely not a beginner gearing set up, and not the best for longer tracks.

In my opinion you have to decide how you ride on this one. If you ride the street a lot, dont get too drastic, as it becomes more of a PITA, especially in traffic. If you go to the track however, you want to set up your bike so that at the fastest part of the track (usually the front straight) you hit redline in top gear right before you brake to make the best use of your power.

And stunting gears are also different. For stunts, a -1 is about all you would ever do to the front. Look at the stunt bikes, they are usually in the neighborhood of +9 to +14 or so, but top out at just over 100mph, give or take. And the r6 aint the best stunt bike to begin with either. wanna stunt, get a 636, f4i, or gixxer.

·
4,299 Posts
jimmysaintjames said:
Thats the same gearing as stock!!! 1 in the front is about the same as 3 in the rear. So if you go down 1 in the front and up 3 in the rear you cancelled each other out.
Ummmm.....

NO :)

-1 is equal to almost +3 in the rear (not -3 in the rear)

So -1, +3 is comparable to almost +6 in the rear

·
Registered
12 Posts
It all really depends on the track. Like summit point I run -1 in the front stock rear, Vir -1 in the front +1 in the rear, Daytona +1 in the front. May also depend on riding style. Some riders are not willing to shift mid corner so you may run a different gear. Also depends on you lap times. If you arent going that fast you will need a different gear. Its really rider prefference.

·
4,299 Posts
jimmysaintjames said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysaintjames
Thats the same gearing as stock!!! 1 in the front is about the same as 3 in the rear. So if you go down 1 in the front and up 3 in the rear you cancelled each other out.

Read that over and get back to me
!!!!
:D Sorry Jimmy no offense but I think you might be retarded :fact :dunce:

Read that over and get back to me :D

·
4,299 Posts
jimmysaintjames said:
Going down on the front sprocket is the same as going up on the rear sprocket!!!! and 1 tooth in the front is almost the same as 3 teeth in the rear.
Yes that is right -1 in the front is almost the same as + 3 in the rear so -1 in the front AND +3 in the rear (-1, +3) is almost +6 in the rear NOT CANCLED OUT

But thats ok, easy mistake

You said you ride at VIR I'll be there next week maybe we'll bump into each other

:cheers

·
4,299 Posts
jimmysaintjames said:
weather Im wrong or write Im sure Im faster than you!
You're an ass :D :fact

Your wrong and I have no idea how you ride but I would be happy to race you any day ( track or twistys...no straight line shit' )

I was correcting you, yes but that's because you were wrong, but I was nice about it, then you had to go and be an iggnorant ass.

Where do you ride i'll meet up with u. And like I said I'll be at VIR in a week

·
Registered
12 Posts
lol Ill be at barber next weekend!!! CCS/ASRA event come on down.
But you are right about the gearing, I was wrong. But Im sure you arent faster than me. What are your lap times at VIR?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts