Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone want 2 wheel tuesday last night with that wheelie machine thingy? i thought that was pretty nifty :poke

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i didnt watch it. is it the one with a cbr 929(i think), attatched and rigged to a waste of a dyno? oh i cant forget that trampoline under the front tire. if so i read about it in super street bike. looks like a good idea. better to learn on that then learn on your own bike. with the pics i seen, if they could find a way to rig the rear end to where you could at least lean the bike side to side a little. just to really simulate what could happen if you wheelie and lean a certain way.

·
Hold My Beer & Watch This
43 Posts
I saw it. only saw it, i was in a bar so i couldn't hear it. good tool to learn, thats why i can't wheelie, too scared to drop the bike.

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
I saw that episode back in the summer months. Looked like a kickass idea for teaching people how to do and get a feel for wheelies.

·
Registered
416 Posts
one of the guys on the forum suggest this to me on wheelies:

basically you have 2 main ways to get the front end up.
1. power wheelies
--- uses strictly engine power to bring up the front end.
--- in 1st you would get p to about 9-10K, let off the throttle until about 8K and give i a quick "blurp"
blurp: a quick twist of the throttle
--- use too much blurp and you will end up on your back, even more so since your in 1st.
~~~ another power wheelie inculdes bounching and blurping in 2nd gear
~~~ much hard IMO, and since your speed much higher then the 1st gear one, your crash will be much worse.

2. clutching it up
--- very dangerous
--- do not try this in 1st gear

--- In 2nd gear get up to about 7-9K pull the clutch in, rev up to about 10-11k and drop the clutch.
--- Oh yeah, HOLD ON

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would only go with the power approach. Clutching it up is going to lead to excessive clutch wear. I learned the power way in 1st gear on a nice long section of flat road that was on my way out of work at night. I was afraid to do it in the morning because if I dumped it everyone was going to drive by my squirming, possibly skinless body on the way to work.

·
Registered
267 Posts
um, power wheelies = on your ass. 2nd gear clutching = 80mph wheelies. 1st gear clutching = low speed adrenaline rush. i mean no offense by contradicting anyone elses advice but from my personal experiences the above applies. power wheelie took forever to get up, distance wise, and didn't stay up long. i can skip the tire clutching in 2nd gear but that's starting at 30mph & 6000rpms. in 1st gear, 15mph, 5K rpms; pop the clutch (and i mean pop that biotch) as you give throttle and that front end will just rise like bread. of course if you snap the throttle then your spine will meet asphalt. my advice, clutch it in 2nd gear to see how difficult and fast you have to be going, then try 1st gear and wear a diaper b/c you will soil yourself the first time. the challenge is to get it up in 1st and then shift to 2nd. and leave the power wheelies for litre bikes.
oh, and the other tidbit, don't worry about excessive clutch wear b/c if your willing to give gravity the finger and shake hands with death, then i think clutch repairs are the least of your concerns.
:flame

1 - 8 of 8 Posts