Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 r6 with just over 20,000. I have heard that you need to get them serviced after this many miles. This is my first yamaha so my question is, what is done at the service. I have had Ducati's and I know the valves get adjusted. I can do a regular tune up myself, oil, air, carbs, plugs, wires, so what goes on with the 20,000 mile maintence? I am getting ready to take a 1200 mile trip to the blue ridge parkway and want this in top shape before that. How much does it usually cost? Also, I think my fork seals are shot because the front dips hard o braking and almost feels like it bottoms out. Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
if your fork seals are shot then you would see oil on your fork legs. If you used to see oil and don't anymore, then you are totally out of fork oil and are doing damage to the forks. Valves need to be adjusted at 26000 miles. Normal cost of around 300 bucks. That doesn't include the routine oil change/plugs,etc. As a fork ages, its gets softer because the fork oil loses viscosity. With 20,000 miles on the bike, the fork fluid is probably totally shot. This would give you a mushy feeling and allow the fork to bottom out. You may be able to fix it by dialing in some more compression damping, however its probably time to have your forks service. If you want to replace the seals, expect around 300 bucks if you bring them the bike. If you just want fluid changed, it can be done on the bike and should be able to be done for around 150.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would you suggest that I tell the shop to check them out completely and see if its just the oil that needs changed or the full fork service?

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
would you suggest that I tell the shop to check them out completely and see if its just the oil that needs changed or the full fork service?
With 20,000 miles under its wheels get a full check done.
Its piece of mind for you, knowing the forks are in good fully working condition.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
With 20,000 miles under its wheels get a full check done.
Its piece of mind for you, knowing the forks are in good fully working condition.
+1, you probably want them to do the shock as well. Suspension is a very tricky thing, so make sure you take it to a shop you totally trust and has a reputation for good suspension work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts