Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I eat my R6
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a 2000 r6 about a month ago, and i have this weird problem. The first battery went dead about 2 weeks ago. I replaced it and everything worked fine until today. It would crank but it wouldnt start this morning so i plugged it in to my battery tender for like 15 minutes then it started right up. I drove it for about 30 minutes and then tried to start it 5 hours later but same thing happened so someone push started me. what could be draining my battery so quickly? Im pretty sure my rectifier works cause it put out about 13-14 volts around 5k. Would bad coils have anything to do with this? i dont think theyve ever been replaced.

·
I eat my R6
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i forgot to mention, sometimes in the first 15 minutes of a ride the lights might dim for like a minute and then go back to normal. it might do this a few times at random then itll be fine for the rest of the ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check the wiring plug going to your rectifier (it's infront of the battery tray next to the rear shock). there should be 3 white wires in the wiring plug. check to see if the plug or the wiring hasn't melted. its a really common problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its the stator...
well yeah, i had the same problem and it was my stator on my 01mdl. but its more common to be the rec plug/wiring. check that first anyway, then check the stator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my '08. I have it at the dealer now. I'll post up with the diagnostics report and maybe that will help you. Yamaha is warrantying mine. Just got it and this is already going on.

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my '08. I have it at the dealer now. I'll post up with the diagnostics report and maybe that will help you. Yamaha is warrantying mine. Just got it and this is already going on.
Didn't know your model had the same as the generation 1s...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have had charging issues with mine. The shop is still blaming the battery so am having to buy a new one. This one better charge properly.

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Have had charging issues with mine. The shop is still blaming the battery so am having to buy a new one. This one better charge properly.
Not trying to be funny but your dealship sucks...

You know how batteries work right and what keeps them changed
The Alternator on the car is the same as stator.. Have them check it directly

·
02 R6 They're gggrrreeatt
43 Posts
well.. I've had the same problem, bought a new rectifier, bought a new battery, still not working. So now I"m taking the bike to the dealer it's an 01 R6. He thinks it's the stator, as do I, but I also believe the wiring harness could be fried.

·
I eat my R6
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found that the regulator starts to put out well over 14 volts after about 5 minutes of the bike being run. It killed two of my batteries and now im waiting for an order of a regulator which apparently nobody has in stock. Hopefully that will be the end of it

·
Trying to stay upright.
15 Posts
I just got my 00 R6 home tonight, and I think I'm having a similar problem. Maybe. Might not have been ridden much lately and could just be that the battery is dead. Sitting on the charger overnight. So, we'll see. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Likewise today found out my 2002 R6 has this same problem. lucky here in Las Vegas there's somebody with a 2001 R6 stator. Hopefully that will work with my 2002 r6?

·
Registered
307 Posts
rectifier plug, Fixed my problem. was shorted and burned. fixed and now is good. that little black wire non the the 3 white wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also started having a charging problem. its been going on for the last 4 years now. replaced 3 stators and 4 regulators and still having the same problem. took the harness apart looking for shorts and no issues. regulator keeps getting super hot until it finally burns up. no blown fuses and has a good battery ground even switched to led headlights to reduce power requirements. taking the bike apart again today to see what I can find

·
Registered
130 Posts
OEM regulator/rectifer on the gen1 bikes runs destructively hot, will burn itself and the cabling it attaches to. Its a series rectifier so reducing load actually increases its heat- just went thru this myself & replaced the OEM unit with a switching rectifier-

https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/46-general-discussions/442056-battery-does-not-charge-stator.html

https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/57-garage-mechanical-help/442572-1999-r6-considering-replacement-rectifier-regulator.html

the compufire I installed back in February is working fine- never gets more than ambient, charging voltage stable- has entirely solved the heating/charging problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone had a problem where the rectifier plug burned up and then when turning on the keyswitch there is 0 power and the dash stays black. But if you turn on the keyswitch and activate the killswitch, the dash will light up but not start the bike.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts