Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 R6 that I Bought. I ran it for two days. But now She wont start. It will idle and sometimes allow me to rev it, Kinda sputterish, but then it will bogg down to a stop. then every attempt will just intermittently start then die. I want to clean the carbs, well shoot them out with a cleaner. But Im not sure what to use. I am a Dirtbike rider for 16 years and this is my 1st Street bike.
Bike is stock except the AIS is disconnected. Crank Blower is ran by me to a breather in the rear compartment. The Carb filter seems to be a Feathery Looking Yellowish thing. So weird. Where should I start? A Spray Cleaner?
The Shop Here, want $300.00 to clean carbs. and $400.00 to do plugs and Wires. It this Rediculous? I can do all those tasks myself cant I? I am Mechanically inclined. Just dont wanna have to Scncronize so taking them off Individually is not what I wanna do.
I used 87 Octane last fill up....... Did that do It? Please Help me. ANYONE

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
You can do all that stuuf your self. Here is a great how to site on syncing carbs http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_synchronize_the_carburetors? . It is on a 250, but it is the same for the 6. The rest is cake. Take the tank off, take the air box off take the wires off. Take the plugs out and replace. If you want to clean the carbs take them out now and do it. But, you can just run seafoam through the fuel and it should clear them out if they are not too bad.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don't know much about carbs, honestly, but if you rode for a while in those 2 days, and if the 01s have a petcock, throw it on reserve, just in case. I got an ex250 senior year in highschool, and leaving school the first day I rode it, it died and I sat on the side of the road for a couple of minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't run.

I'm mentioning that "just in case," don't take any offense :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gas Is Flowing, But IDK if theres a reserve. On a Visual, All I see is off and on.
Well Now the Bike stars fine. But when i warm it uo it starts to sputter till it finally stops. WTF.........

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Im Gonna Buy some sea Foam. Ive used it on my Ford Truck Once and It worked Wonders. On the Truck , I put it in the main Vaccume on the Brake Booster. For My
Bike where should I put it in the tank? If so, How much of a ratio should I use?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, My Question is, With One 1oz Can of SeaFoam. Should I just add to tank. or add to tank and run bike. Let it sit overnight? Suck through a Vaccume line?
Sugestions? Comments?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I dont know about the 2000 R6's but the 03-up require premium gas..that 87 octane could have something to do with it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Octane will be changed before the Sea Foam. Thanks for the Tip.

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
So, My Question is, With One 1oz Can of SeaFoam. Should I just add to tank. or add to tank and run bike. Let it sit overnight? Suck through a Vaccume line?
Sugestions? Comments?
1oz in the tank will work fine. But, sucking it through the vaccume line works wonders and is faster(note: be perpared for A LOT of smoke. A LOT!!). You do not need to let it sit over night.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So which Vaccume Line do I use? I look under the tank and I get Amazed with the amount there. Maby Make a T- Line to tap into a line? Or straight Suck? Either way, what line should I use? I will be doing this in the mornning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant a Pint. Im gonna just use 4 Glasses, I will fill them Evenly then use one. It treats 20 Gallons so my Tank is 5 when Full so.......... Amounts Im ok. Just Which Line?Snapp a Picture? Got one On hAnd? Helppppp. I wanna ride to work again.

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Damn,
Sorry I haven't logged on in a bit.

Did you do it yet?

I do not remember which line. It has been three years since I had my 02 and four since I did this to mine. I have had an 03 and now an 07 and have done too much work to those to remember exactly about the 02. Post up a pic so I can see it again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
WELL Turns Out, Carbs were all Gunky and My Piston Valve on the Carbs was all cracked and withered.(The Black Rubber Diaphram) I will Be calling the Dealer tomorrow. But sheez, Where is a Place to Buy R6 Parts online? Parts such as For my Problem? Suggested Websites to Order From Please............I google and get so many Resluts., Yet Nothing of what I need................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts