Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 2000 yamaha R6 and the headlights flicker when i turn on the switch when the fuel pump builds pressure and stops the lights stop flickering only untill i start the bike and its setting ther running....also when i use the turn signals whatever side headlight almost dims completely out like they trying to blink with the turn signals.....ive traced wired untill im blue in the face ive fixed and replaced anything that even any bit questioned....ive grounded re-grounged made backup grounds an back up grounds for them....do i need to install a condensor or something?.....the head lights are aftermarket as they come on the bike when i bought it .....any ideas or tips /help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wonder if the headlights are higher power than OEM's so tend to be affected by voltage sagging on the lamp circuits. WOuld be good to check the fuse for that circuit, make sure the right value is present ie if these lamps draw twice the power of the OEM's, and the prev owner put in a fuse twice the value thats something that needs changing around.

If thats the case, and you want to keep the headlights then some adjustments to the wiring might help ie, adding a couple relays so the headlights can be powered directly from the battery.

The battery on my '99 was chronically low voltage last summer, eventually it almost stranded me- the low voltage led to the fuel pump being erratic but the bike would still crank and start; with the battery low and not charging properly the headlights would also tend to flicker when the signals were operating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are having flickering issues while your bike is running at normal idle, it is most likely your regulator/rectifier. It’s job is to convert the AC power from your stator and subsequently regulate the amount of voltage your bike puts out to keep everything at a safe functional level. There is a thread in here somewhere with diagnostics for each electrical control component, I can try to find it for your later if you like. Also; my bike acts strange on just battery(tail light barely lights up), but once i start my bike everything is okay. Battery and R/R are both brand new, so i chalk that up to a shoddy chinese tail light. Hope this helped some!

edit: the R/R connector/wire is a known trouble spot for the 99-02 series, one of the white wires and pins from the stator will burn itself up and cause electrical issues simulating a R/R issue. Check the connector at your R/R to be sure it’s not corroded or burnt, that will cause many electrical issues, and eventually cause performance issues with the bike as well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts