Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
My R6 Eats Me
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new on here, from Australia. Have just upgraded from a wee little DT230 and bought myself an '00 R6. 2 Weeks in and I've got some problems which i can't figure out, I've tried to search for them but haven't come across anything which covers it.

Was sitting at the traffic lights, bike was at about 92-97 degrees (celcius). Suddenly my dash started to go on and off. Now it didn't just go blank and then come back up, it was like i was consistently turning the key on and off and it was reading out 888 on the dash, etc etc. The engine however was running fine the whole time...It did this countless times while i was waiting, when it turned green, i got round the corner and gassed it...back to normal.

I pulled over and checked over the connections up the front of the bike to make sure there was nothing loose. I thought about there being a chance of me screwing something over when i was installing the new screen, but i was never near the wires that go to the dash. Made sure all the visible connections going to the dash were connected properly then fired the bike up again. I let her idle this time for a while, till she got to around 100 or so degrees, and couldn't get the problem to repeat itself.

I then proceeded to take her for an hour of retarded mid peak hour traffic driving nonsense, slow speed, hot hot, etc etc. Again i couldn't get the problem to repeat itself. So now i have no idea wtf?!

Another thing i've noticed is the lights on my dash, when i squeeze the brake (front or rear, doesn't matter), the led's for the indicators and neutral get dimmer. and the whole light behind the dash actually gets a bit dimmer. Could it be that the battery is slowly starting to shit itself or am i looking at a bigger problem? On another note, when i gas it a bit, the whole lot gets brighter.

Last but not least, the fuggin fuel light keeps coming on. Despite the fact that there's tons of fuel in the tank. It has a tendency not to come on when i start the bike, then after a bit of riding, bang. Sometimes it also turns off mid riding...again i got no idea what's going on??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Check your connections again. I had a 98 600r that did this and it was a connection under the gas tank. Mine was reading a 7 code. Your diagnostics is trying to tell you something with the 888. Check your nearest dealer and find out what that specific code is. And as far as the led's go they shouldn't be doing that so make sure the connections are good and hooked up right. Hope this helps:toocool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts