Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
high fellow riders, i have a 2000 r6 that i have changed the stator on because the old one died, now im dealing with a speedo gauge that only reads 0mps when riding. i got a used speed sensor from ebay that had 8000 miles on the bike and nothin changed. think it was a bike shop on there.

so im not sure if the other sensor is bad as well of if it could be somethin else.
and if so what else can cause this, everything else works perfectly.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok. First thing is to check the connector from your speed sensor. White plug (3 connectors) under the tank. Maybe this is damaged or disconnected.
Did you get a speed from your old cluster?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i still have my original gauge cluster installed, only thing ive changed is the speed sensor itself. ill check the connector and let u no what i find, on the visual side it looks good, ill check it with a multi meter.

thanks for the help really appreciate it

·
Registered
211 Posts
Check the wires going into the connector that plugs into your speedo. Maybe it came loose or it fried. Also check all your relays.

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,620 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Speed sensor on the back of the motor under the carbs went out. OE replacement was EXPENSIVE ($77 or around that for new and $30-50 used)! I discovered that a Raptor 4 wheeler uses the same exact one with a longer harness that was around $8 used.

·
1,620 Posts
No relays that I know of, sensor feeds direct into the ECU, then to the cluster.

You can check the sensor with a multimeter. It needs to be plugged in with the bike's key on. With the sensor in hand or installed in the motor, check across the wires listed below, run a screwdriver back and forth across the face of it if not installed (part that goes into the motor) or spin the wheel by hand if installed, it should bounce between 0v & 5v.

From the manual:
Measure the voltage (5 V) of blue/yellow and
black/blue. With each full rotation of the rear
wheel, the voltage reading should cycle from
0 V to 5 V to 0 V to 5 V.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ok went out to do some more testing and both lcd screens light up but show's nothing, think my gauge cluster is going out. high beam/ signal light low gas lights all come on.

but both screens do nothing but light up. battery connections are good the battery is a new battery, but ill check volts next

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ok after takin the cluster off and inspecting it found a couple burnt parts so i bypass them with a wire for now, so i can continue my testing on my speedo problem. the gauge now show info on both lcd's like b4. but still showing zero, I'm going to test the speedo like recommended. above thanks for info will post back soon.

also here is the circuit board with the 2 burnt pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i put my tester light on the white wire to battery and it showed that it was neg, and the other two wires i tested and it showed that they were positive both of them, i used my multimeter on them and the read as fallowed,

white- blue and yellow-----4.29
white- black and blue-------4.39

these reading was with the key in the on position and neither sensor plugged in. it was on the harness side on the connector. is this normal going to try the regular test now

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
just ordered, another speedo sensor, will try this if nothing changes the gauge cluster itself is next up on the list to order.

the plug from the harness it self had reading already without a sensor plugged in, dont no if its supposed to or not. when sensor installed and wheel turned no change also when screw driver waived back in forth over the 2nd sensor still no change. reading stay where they were.

i wonder if the volts are supposed to stay then when the wheel rotates it goes to 0 because mine shows the voltage already, but doesn't change with either sensor maybe ill get lucy and they are both bad sensors

·
1,620 Posts
Sensors must be plugged in for the test, no change = bad sensor. If mounted in the bike and you roll the wheel by hand it will go from 0 to 5 to 0v etc.. I tested the replacement I got with it plugged in but not installed using the screwdriver, that's how I knew it was good and the original was bad, the original had no change at all replacement did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sensors must be plugged in for the test, no change = bad sensor. If mounted in the bike and you roll the wheel by hand it will go from 0 to 5 to 0v etc.. I tested the replacement I got with it plugged in but not installed using the screwdriver, that's how I knew it was good and the original was bad, the original had no change at all replacement did.

thanks you for the reply appreciated it alot, and yea i ended up finding how to on the manual andtested it the right way.

u say from 0 to 5 to 0volts. did yours start out with the 5v or did it start out at 0 until the sensor made it change. mine starts out with the 5volts. just need to no if it was supposed to have the volts already at the plug itself

·
1,620 Posts
It is definitely supposed to have voltage at the plug, just depends where the trans gear it feeds off of is whether is is 0 or 5. Every time a tooth passes it in the trans, it switches. 0v or 5v I cannot remember, but I know if it does not switch it is bad.

I ran for a month or so using my cell phone for a speedo, zip tied to the GPR damper. There are bunches of downloadable apps in the play store. I was extremely happy when I finally did fix it though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is definitely supposed to have voltage at the plug, just depends where the trans gear it feeds off of is whether is is 0 or 5. Every time a tooth passes it in the trans, it switches. 0v or 5v I cannot remember, but I know if it does not switch it is bad.

I ran for a month or so using my cell phone for a speedo, zip tied to the GPR damper. There are bunches of downloadable apps in the play store. I was extremely happy when I finally did fix it though.

cool thanks, and i no what u mean, i will let u no how it goes once the sensor gets here, it get's shipped out Monday.

again thanks for reply's/help

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i tried another speed sensor and still same problem. so i have another cluster itself on the way. that's what i been leaning towards from the start so we will see. i think i need to upgrade my multimeter as well. trying to get this all takin care off b4 i move in 2 weeks my new cluster should be here Thursday will keep you all posted thanks again for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts