Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little back ground I brought my 2000 r6 last April. It had a scorpion exhaust and k&n air filter. I replaced the scorpion with a high mount micron and I'm in the process of going back to the stock filter. So I had a small wreck at 15mph wet leaves on a damp road luckily only damage was to the fairings which I've ordered a week ago. It's winter and like 29 degrees here in philly so I decided to take the carbs off myself rather than have a shop do it. So I took my carbs off cleaned everything but didn't touch the air fuel mixture screws. It was my first time and didn't feel comfortable messing with them. I wasn't sure about the screw settings. So I cleaned everything else and changed the spark plugs. The bike starts perfectly now without the choke and idles even better than when I got it ,but it starts to sputter at 8k rpm all the way to red line. Called a shop and they said it sounds like an ignition issue. So I decided to buy new spark plugs on the off chance that I may have gotten a bad one from advanced auto. I'm not sure where to go from here it's my first bike and I'm determined to fix it. I was reading through the topics and it gets a little confusing where to go. I was thinking I should take the carbs off again, clean the air and fuel mixture screws in the carbs and see what happens. Idk any suggestions would help.

Cliff notes: aftermarket slip on and filter
The old plugs were burnt when I removed them and they were only 2 months old.Guessing I'm running rich
Looks like the stock jets
New plugs installed already
I noticed the air and fuel mixture screws looked like they were set differently

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Sounds like it could either be the jetting or the coils. If you take the coils out and test them, the primary resistance should be 0.204 to 0.276 ohms, and the secondary resistance should be 8.5 to 11.5 ohms according to the service manual for the 2000 year. For the 1999 year, it says that should be 8160 to 11,040 ohms. I personally think it should be the 8160-11,040.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would coils cause the sputtering?
Work has been a little crazy but im planning on going to get a multimeter and testing them. I plan on tearing everything down and recleaning everything just in case including the air fuel mixture screws to see if it helps.
I saw in another post members suggesting turning the mixture screws all the way and unscrewing them 2.5 turns out is this correct?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
According to the service manual, the pilot screw should be 1.5 to 2 turns out.

And, yes, the coils going bad could certainly cause what you are describing. At the lower rpms, it may be able to get the job done, but as the coils have to work harder, they may not be able to do their job as they are supposed to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts