Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I just acquired a 2000 that I am planning to use for track. Sometimes it starts fine and pulls to redline, but then cuts out and dies. Upon restart, I have to hold the throttle wide open, but it wont rev past 2K. I have gone through all of the threads that seemed relevant. So far I have:

Cleaned the carbs
Verified that the tank vent tubes are not pinched
Replaced the plugs and coild
Adjusted the TPS

I does not apprear to be a fuel delivery problem as the fuel pump if running and the bowls are full.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
did u change the gas in it, mine had bad gas when it did that, got it from a guy who had it stored he said it had starting problems, i poored the gas out into a clear jug and seen thick stuff in it, new gas fixed my problem, hope this is your problem to easy fix.

my bike was the same year as your to

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did u change the gas in it, mine had bad gas when it did that, got it from a guy who had it stored he said it had starting problems, i poored the gas out into a clear jug and seen thick stuff in it, new gas fixed my problem, hope this is your problem to easy fix.

my bike was the same year as your to
Hey thanks for the suggestion. Yes, indeed, fresh clear fuel. I really suspect that that the ECU is getting a bad read from the temp sensor somehow- either a bad coolant temp sensor, problem in the wiring harness, or the ECU itself is bad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sorry for the late reply but try this look for the chock cable follow it underneath the air filter box, where it connects to the carb on a bracket there should be a screw holding it in place, make sure that it is still connected in place. lmk what u find

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for the late reply but try this look for the chock cable follow it underneath the air filter box, where it connects to the carb on a bracket there should be a screw holding it in place, make sure that it is still connected in place. lmk what u find

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, the choke is intact and working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any have a spare ECU?

Everything else has tested OK. I think that the ECU is freaking out when warm. Anbody have a spare ECU?

·
Registered
7 Posts
sounds kinda like the problem i'm having...my 01 r6 starts up fine and runs and revs clean as could be until it gets up around 180 degrees and then it just dies...it won't start up unless i hold the throttle wide opened and then it will only idle around 1200 rpms at WOT...i changed the carbs,wire harness,ecu cdi box,rectifier,stator all out of the same known running bike and it's still doing it...i also changed the coolant temp sensor in the back of the cylinders under the carbs and the oil pressure sensor with brand new ones from yamaha still no luck...the only things i havent changed are the thermo switch in the upper right corner of the radiator and the instrument cluster...does anybody know if theres a fail safe in the system to shut the bike down if it's over heating??? or any kind of fail safe that would shut the bike down???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Mystery Solved !Re: 2000 R6- Won't rev above 2K with WOT? Stumped

I troubleshot all of the stuff that you did as well.

It turns out that I had a marginal fuel pump that would stop after about a minute. The main relay was also dying, could have been a result of the fuel pump. It would flutter on the fuel pump circuit (even off of the bike on the bench). The fuel pump tested for fine resistance and pumped fine for about a minute on the bench.

I replaced the fuel pump with a high-quality aftermarket unit, and replaced the relay with a new OEM relay.

That problem was solved!

The overheating only happened when I was letting it sit at idle for long periods. It would start to boil over and the fan never came on. Turn out that was a bad radiator cap - duh.

All good now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts