Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New to the forums hear an unfortunately my first post is a repair question. Bought my first bike just last week at it as already started acting up on me.

Symptoms:

Once bike gets warm and I shut it off for two minutes or more it will not start back up. Will start only after temp has gone down to 100 degrees or so.

When riding the bike it runs perfect when cold but after warming up it starts to bog when applying throttle and can notice a power cut and then all of the sudden the bike will come back to life as if nothing is wrong.

When slowing down at stop lights bike wants to die and sometimes will unless I give it throttle to keep the rpms up.

Before the bike starts wanting to die when I pull up to lights it usually starts off as the rpms dropping lower than usual for a few seconds and then coming back to a normal range.

One time bike died while riding it. Could only get it to start while hot after giving it half throttle and even at half throttle i could barely get it to idle.

Modifications:

Completely stock besides a mishimoto slip on muffler

Was hoping you guys would be able to help point me in the right direction. Saw some people say the CDI could be the issue, others saying the coils, and others saying the valves. Leaning towards a coil issue but any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Already opened my gas tank when it was warm just to see if it was vapor locking. And it is not

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds to me like it may be flooding itself. I had a similar issue with my 99, turned out to be the floats were set to high on a couple carbs, and were letting fuel flow into the cylinder when it was shut off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're you having that problem after the bike warmed up? Or all the time? Thought I might be able to rule out the carbs since it only happens when the engine is warm.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
How many miles? That sounds like the classic symptoms of valve clearance getting tight. Valve lash typically wears tight, not loose. The first symptom is that the bike starts fine when cold, but as te bike warms up and the valve stems elongate with heat, they take up what ever clearance is there and then the valve doesn't close completely. When that happens, the bike (that started fine, cold) now won't run well when warm, and typically has a hard time starting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It only has 7200 miles..... Pretty sure they are supposed to be good until 26k miles? I have heard of that before, just hoping that is not the issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We're you having that problem after the bike warmed up? Or all the time? Thought I might be able to rule out the carbs since it only happens when the engine is warm.
Only noticed issues after it was good and hot, such as a track day session. I could shut it off and start it right back up within 30 seconds, but it seemed if I waited any longer, it would just crank without ever firing. If I held the throttle wide open to help clear out the "flood", it would start firing on a couple cylinders, and finally all 4 would come to life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I swapped out the coils and threw it back together. Having the same problem only almost worse now. I also have a new development where my speedo lights up but doesn't show temp, speed, or miles. Must have knocked something out of place while working on it. At this point I guess it might be my best bet to take it to the shop which I really don't want to do. But also don't want to create any more problems than I have already.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also idle seems to be right under 1000 rpm which I don't think is normal. Cutting out a lot more now as well when I lay into the throttle. Even when engine is less warm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 00 R6 as well. I had similar problems last summer. Bogging down, not starting after it was warm, stalling when stopped at a red light. Turns out my air to fuel ratio was messed up. Had a mechanic look at it and runs like a top now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also idle seems to be right under 1000 rpm which I don't think is normal. Cutting out a lot more now as well when I lay into the throttle. Even when engine is less warm.
So did you find the problem? I have the exact same thing and curious if I should start with ordering coils or checking the valves?!

Check the carbs, cleaned them but no change..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all! New to the forums hear an unfortunately my first post is a repair question. Bought my first bike just last week at it as already started acting up on me.

Symptoms:

Once bike gets warm and I shut it off for two minutes or more it will not start back up. Will start only after temp has gone down to 100 degrees or so.

When riding the bike it runs perfect when cold but after warming up it starts to bog when applying throttle and can notice a power cut and then all of the sudden the bike will come back to life as if nothing is wrong.

When slowing down at stop lights bike wants to die and sometimes will unless I give it throttle to keep the rpms up.

Before the bike starts wanting to die when I pull up to lights it usually starts off as the rpms dropping lower than usual for a few seconds and then coming back to a normal range.

One time bike died while riding it. Could only get it to start while hot after giving it half throttle and even at half throttle i could barely get it to idle.

Modifications:

Completely stock besides a mishimoto slip on muffler

Was hoping you guys would be able to help point me in the right direction. Saw some people say the CDI could be the issue, others saying the coils, and others saying the valves. Leaning towards a coil issue but any input would be greatly appreciated! :)
Did u ever find the solution? Having the same issue. Same bike 40k miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts