Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a use 2000 R6 (Red/White/Black) with 9070 miles. It is my first bike and I rode around practicing for 2 days. On the second day, after I took it back to my friend's house, it just stalled out while I was pulling in. I tried to get it started again, but it would not start. All I would hear is this clicking noise everytime I pressed the ignition. The noise came from under the seat. Eventually, the neutral like went out as the battery power had drained.
I tried jump starting it with a portable jumper, but it did not work as I found out that my battery was at 10volts when it should be at 13. I took the battery to a shop to get it charged, but then it still did not work after I reinstalled the battery. I'm wondering if A.) my battery has gone bad, B.) starter is bad, or C.) charging system is bad. I'm leaning towards A & B.

Advice, comments, suggestions.....anyone??????

-Kit
:cuss :twisted: :cuss :twisted:

·
Registered
293 Posts
this is going to sound stupid but you did make sure your kill switch was in the on position right? also make sure it is not in first as it wont start in a gear with the kick stand down, even though the neurtal light is on that doesnt mean it is in neutral for sure. im not trying to say you are dumb or anything just some things to check. :mrgreen:
welcome to the forum!!! :jump :jump

·
Registered
494 Posts
The click click sounds seems to me to be a battery prob. The battery could not be charging. Alternator might be toast and not charging the battery.
Have any engine friendly friends? Or a mechanic buddy...
I'm no mechanic so take what I said for what it is. Sorry for your probs.

Alden

·
Registered
308 Posts
Check the engine kill switch, kick stand, is it really in neutral? A problem i had with my VFR when the battery wouldn't charge is the rectifier went out. The rectifier is part of your alternator. My therory is if the headlights are on(bright) and the neutral light comes on, then the battery is fine. its probably something else.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
it could be a bettery problem or a starter problem.

If you are hearing the clicking noise, probably a battery prob. If you have a friend with a bike, try using his battery to start your bike.

Try push starting the bike to see if it will run otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Generally with batterys if they are a couple tenths of a volt off then they are way off. The fact that you are 3 colts off seems suspicious. Did they guys at the shop have anything to say about the fact that it was not charged up all the way? I would rule out the alternator because if you charged it up it doesn't matter if the alternator works or not, it would have started and ran until the battery was drained. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, I have the same problem with my 2000 r6. I checked the battery and it is ok, I made sure the neutral is on place, the stand is up and the clutch bar is pulled in and still it wont start. The only way it starts is when I pushed it for a few feet, usually the starter begins to work. However, after riding it for some time and turning it off the same problem occurs. I had the rear tire changed recently. Could this be something that leaded to this problem ?. I am wondering timing or else.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts