Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brother inlaw wanted to take my R6 for a ride two days after I bought it, so I agreed warning him if he laid it down he would be responsible for the cost to fix it. He assured me he'd been riding for years and that wouldn't happen. Low & behold within the first 10 minutes of riding it, down he goes at 35 MPH scraping the OEM fairings to hell and cracking the starter cover? I think that's what it's called. Nothing too serious, cosmetic damage basically.

So here I am day three with a bike that will not start, I change the oil and replaced the cover and I bought a new battery. I noticed that after he laid it down on the right side that the rear turn signal stayed on completely lit non blinking and that the housing would get hot. So I unplugged it thinking maybe it was drawing too much power from the battery which was replaced today, but I still can't get it to start! It did start last night but today with a new battery I can't get it to start.

Do you guys have any ideas what could be keeping it from starting? I feel like it's something right under my nose that could be extremely easy to fix but I have limited knowledge of bikes or mechanics. Any help would be super appreciated!

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
That sucks man, I hope he paid for the parts.

Sounds like something is going on with the wiring if your signal was on solid and it won't start.

What do you mean it won't start? Is it not firing, or not turning over at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks man, I hope he paid for the parts.

Sounds like something is going on with the wiring if your signal was on solid and it won't start.

What do you mean it won't start? Is it not firing, or not turning over at all?
Yeah he paid for the brake pedal, fairings, mirrors, covers, and turn signals!
roughly 9-1200 buckaroonis

It turned over and fired up last night.. But today it won't start or turn over or anything, it just clicks around where the solenoid is.. the neutral light goes dim. I think it could be a loose connection between the starter solenoid and starter.. or maybe a bad starter solenoid? I'm not sure but it's driving me crazy!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't really have much advice on how to fix it, but you can try jumping the solenoid. Just touching the two poles or whatever together with a pice of metal like a screwdriver or something in that nature. Solenoids always seem to make me chase my tail and feel like a moron trying to figure out why it won't start. And they go bad more than what you'd probably think. Try jumping them two together( with the key in of course and pressing the start button)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think a solenoid is cheap anyways so even just buying on and trying it wouldn't hurt. They've went bad on many of my four wheelers and especially for some reason my lawn mowers lol. Good luck man

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Start by checking your battery voltage while standing and while pressing the starter button. If there was a short it could have drained/wrecked your battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Start by checking your battery voltage while standing and while pressing the starter button. If there was a short it could have drained/wrecked your battery.
Went out and bought a new battery...

A little bit of an update on the problem I'm having that I've noticed: When key is in on position, the RPM gauge jumps back and forth slowly, so there must be a short somewhere?! Or loose connection?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Went out and bought a new battery...
Ok, but still, what's the voltage? If there is a short that ruined your old battery, it could have done the exact same thing to the new one.

I would expect that your new battery is fine, but it's better to be sure. It will only take a few seconds to test it if you have a multimeter.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
If the battery is fine, I'd start checking the starter motor circuit. Grab a service manual and a multimeter and start tracing your way through the wiring from the battery to the starter motor. There area few possibilities.

1) Your battery just isn't providing enough power to turn the engine. No all the likely if you have a new battery, but it's the easiest thing to check.

2) There is a break in the circuit somewhere. Could be a loose connection in the harness somewhere or some wires that were damaged in the crash.

3) One of your starter relays are damaged. This would be easy to see with a multimeter as you'll get 12v on the trigger side, but nothing on the output side.

4) Your starter motor was damaged in the crash and even though it's getting 12v and lots of amps, it isn't strong enough to turn the engine.

5) There is a problem with your starter clutch and something is jamming up. Could have easily happened if the bike went down on it's side.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
A little bit of an update on the problem I'm having that I've noticed: When key is in on position, the RPM gauge jumps back and forth slowly, so there must be a short somewhere?! Or loose connection?
What does it normally do? I know on my 2006 it goes to the redline and back to zero when you power on the bike to prove that its working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the battery is fine, I'd start checking the starter motor circuit. Grab a service manual and a multimeter and start tracing your way through the wiring from the battery to the starter motor. There area few possibilities.

1) Your battery just isn't providing enough power to turn the engine. No all the likely if you have a new battery, but it's the easiest thing to check.

2) There is a break in the circuit somewhere. Could be a loose connection in the harness somewhere or some wires that were damaged in the crash.

3) One of your starter relays are damaged. This would be easy to see with a multimeter as you'll get 12v on the trigger side, but nothing on the output side.

4) Your starter motor was damaged in the crash and even though it's getting 12v and lots of amps, it isn't strong enough to turn the engine.

5) There is a problem with your starter clutch and something is jamming up. Could have easily happened if the bike went down on it's side.
Thanks for the information! :nocontrol Super excited to run through this list. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts