Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a quick question regarding the front suspension, I have a '99 R6 I am rebuilding into a full custom, can anyone tell me how in the hell you get the front forks apart? I've taken all the internals out and everything, drained the fluid, but still can't seem to get the tube to come out of the lower fork?????? ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
lift up the dust seal with a smal screw driver and take it off. Under it you will see a wire clip above the seal. Remove the wire clip with a small screw driver or pick. Now grab the upper and lower and slam them apart this will pull out the seal and top bush WHAMO its in bits :) :)

MM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea man, I appreciate all that advice but I've done ALL that, now I am to the step where you said slam them apart.... it still wont budge. I held onto one end and my friend held on to the other and we were pulling it apart and it still wont come??? Any suggestions???

·
Registered
33 Posts
You have to slam it like a slidehammer not just pull. Compress the fork and slam it apart fairly firmly it will come apart after about two goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts