Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Worries.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im new to this site and have been searching for some help on this swap. I swapped out the forks from my R6 with set from an R1. I did the triple tree switch with changing the stem and switched the clip ons, but the only thing I havent been able to get a clear answer on from research is the front axle. Do I have to replace the axle with one from an R1? Some threads I have read say that you have to replace the front tire, brakes, axle, everything or can I just replace the axle?

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Hello all, Im new to this site and have been searching for some help on this swap. I swapped out the forks from my R6 with set from an R1. I did the triple tree switch with changing the stem and switched the clip ons, but the only thing I havent been able to get a clear answer on from research is the front axle. Do I have to replace the axle with one from an R1? Some threads I have read say that you have to replace the front tire, brakes, axle, everything or can I just replace the axle?
Not sure about the conversion but I imagine that yes you do have to replace them. There's a set distance between the forks and so the tire has a spacer on it which is set for the distance in between the forks. The front axle as well.

For the brake calipers, I'm not sure if they changed or not but the 09+ R1 has 6 pistons as compared to the traditional 4.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
You need to replace it all bro. Brake rotors, fender, forks, upper and lover triple, wheel, etc. Check R6messagenet for a better description on the conversion. Most the older stuff is on there.

·
No Worries.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I followed this list of stuff to do for my swap http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-how-guides/33104-how-r1-fork-conversion.html#post328549 and so far the only part that has been the problem for me like i had stated is the axle. There was another post I had found where a guy had pics to go along with his step by step and he still used all the r6 stuff except for clip ons the the upper triple and of course the forks. And heres his swap over http://www.lodiboi.com/r6cle/r1_fork_conversion.htm I dont see how his axle stays on because the original from the r6 is different then what it is for the r1.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Interested in doing this, what is the benefit?

·
No Worries.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I havent been back to this post in awhile been busy. But the reason I swapped was because my buddy had a set of r1 forks sitting around at the sametime I picked up the r6. We had to replace the front anyway, minus the factory forks etc. But the inverted forks are far better response wise. Im also switching out the swingarm to an r1 I will post all the pics when she finished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts