Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back my fuel pump went out on my bike riding home and I was able to shake it and tap it against the frame to turn on to limp it home but it kept shutting back off, I ordered a new pump and put it on there and it worked great for about a month and a half then had the same issue just not as often until recently I put ANOTHER pump on it and it last a good 400 miles and same thing except substantially worse. I noticed last time when I disconnected the fuel lines from the “bad” pump it would somehow magically work again and I’ve checked the wires going to the pump from the relay and even changed out the relay even though the relay clicks every time I turn the switch on, it just doesn’t prime the fuel pump and it’ll still start and run if I tap the pump on the side of the frame it just seems like the regulators inside the pumps are sticking or something else in my bike could be shorting them out I’m not sure. Anyone else had this type of issue before? Anything helps just trying to get it back right where it’ll stop leaving me stranded.

·
Registered
Everything you need to know is in the Service Manual !
177 Posts
A while back my fuel pump went out on my bike riding home and I was able to shake it and tap it against the frame to turn on to limp it home but it kept shutting back off, I ordered a new pump and put it on there and it worked great for about a month and a half then had the same issue just not as often until recently I put ANOTHER pump on it and it last a good 400 miles and same thing except substantially worse. I noticed last time when I disconnected the fuel lines from the “bad” pump it would somehow magically work again and I’ve checked the wires going to the pump from the relay and even changed out the relay even though the relay clicks every time I turn the switch on, it just doesn’t prime the fuel pump and it’ll still start and run if I tap the pump on the side of the frame it just seems like the regulators inside the pumps are sticking or something else in my bike could be shorting them out I’m not sure. Anyone else had this type of issue before? Anything helps just trying to get it back right where it’ll stop leaving me stranded.
That’s tough. I’m not familiar with 1st gen fuel pumps but I’m assuming it’s grounded back to the battery. My guess is knocking against the frame is asking a wire somewhere giving it a better connection. And since the problems follows new fuel pumps it may be an over changing issue burning up the pump. I’m not keen on voltage testing that model but that’s where I would start. Checking all wire and connections to and from the pump. Also take the leads and read voltage off, ignition on, and as you try to start it and while it’s running. Inuit could prob chime in with more useful knowledge

1 - 2 of 2 Posts