Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says My 2001 r6 wont start solely on power alone. I replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago because it was doing a similar thing. Bike was starting up fine with new battery then the other day i was out riding and i stopped for about 5 minutes went to start it and nothing just turns and turns then dies out to a click....

Im thinking it could be starter?

Here is a vid with volt readings

·
Registered
94 Posts
12.17 is too low. Charge the battery to where you can start your bike. Then check voltage at idle and revving to 5,000. This will tell you if you have a problem or not. Since it's a new battery it sounds like it's not being charged while you ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Threw battery on charger i will let you guys no what the readings are afterwards... i will include a video

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Sounds like your stator or your rectifier. You can check the rectifier plug for melting, as its a common problem with the 1st gens. If its got a burnt plug, replace rectifier and you should be fine.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
If I recall correctly, its near the bottom...but I cant remember right off hand. It looks like a heat sink, bunch of fins on it.

Something like this.

·
Pigs can fly!
1,160 Posts
If I recall correctly, its near the bottom...but I cant remember right off hand. It looks like a heat sink, bunch of fins on it.

Something like this.
Yup, looks like that.

It's under the seat, just in front of the battery tray.
You should be able to see the plug from the left side of the bike.

I really hope you are charging your battery with a motorcycle battery charger/tender.. car ones use too many amps (unless it has the option to scale down the amps).

The voltage drop down to 11v with your headlights on is definitely too low for your starter. If you unplug your headlights, your bike might be able to start, but will still struggle.

A fully charged battery will have ~12.7-12.9V. If you see that after taking your battery off of the tender for a few minutes, then your battery is golden and you need to start looking for other sources of your electrical woes.

When you get your bike started and revved to ~5k rpms, if the voltage you're reading is less than 13.2V, then you are undercharging your bike. Really, 13.2V is still too low, but you can get away with it if you don't repeatedly start your bike over and over again for short rides. You really want to see 13.5V-14.4V while at mid rpms. Too much more than 14.5V probably indicated that your regulator is shot.. least that's from the information I've gathered. Take it with a grain of salt if you want. After all, I'm just a person behind a name on the internet :sing

Good luck with it.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Yup, looks like that.

It's under the seat, just in front of the battery tray.
You should be able to see the plug from the left side of the bike.

I really hope you are charging your battery with a motorcycle battery charger/tender.. car ones use too many amps (unless it has the option to scale down the amps).

The voltage drop down to 11v with your headlights on is definitely too low for your starter. If you unplug your headlights, your bike might be able to start, but will still struggle.

A fully charged battery will have ~12.7-12.9V. If you see that after taking your battery off of the tender for a few minutes, then your battery is golden and you need to start looking for other sources of your electrical woes.

When you get your bike started and revved to ~5k rpms, if the voltage you're reading is less than 13.2V, then you are undercharging your bike. Really, 13.2V is still too low, but you can get away with it if you don't repeatedly start your bike over and over again for short rides. You really want to see 13.5V-14.4V while at mid rpms. Too much more than 14.5V probably indicated that your regulator is shot.. least that's from the information I've gathered. Take it with a grain of salt if you want. After all, I'm just a person behind a name on the internet :sing

Good luck with it.
This^^^^

·
From grave to the streets
227 Posts
may seem like a retarded suggestion, but a charge maybe all you need. iu went to advanced they told me it cme chargerd... but that wasn't the case, besides, i had to charge my last one before that. had no charge at all after 2 weeks.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Well my speedo never jumps or anything like that
Those are just all the symptoms in order that I encountered them before the bike just started backfiring and died with absolutely no juice left in the battery.

U tryin to ride it to a shop or something? Bring a jump pack or something with you in case you get stuck. You could connect it for like a half hour and prolly make it another 5 miles or so, etc..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So bike has been starting fine lately and still havent replaced the recifiter or the stator. Think the stator is only partially working?

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
It's very possible that the stator is starting to die....I believe you should be able to test it using a volt meter though

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
the stators rarely go bad. but the rectifier/regulator and plugs were notorious for going bad on the 99-02.

a stator usually only goes bad if it gets damaged in a crash. it's just a solid winding of copper wire with no moving parts. it is possible that the rotor on your engine lost too much of it's magnetism.
the rotor is the round part bolted to the crankshaft and spins inside the stator. this creats the electrical current. then the regulator converts the ac current into dc and regulates how much goes into the electrical system.
this is the part that fails most often. and if you could replace them in cars, most alt companies would probably go out of business.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i did drop it on the same side as stator but standing not low slided, i'll check the recifiter this weekend

1 - 19 of 19 Posts