Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2001 R6 champions edition bike is mint bought it 3500 mikes well maintained and have always kept up with maintenance. My bike was recently vandalized and had some parts stolen and others destroyed. They cut my brake lines, the switch for my starter, the clutch cables and throttle cables as well as got underneath the seat and stole the power commander and messed with some other stuff. Now I bought this bike already modded with the power commander and a few other things. So I am trying to figure out the best replacement for my power commander. Also trying to figure out what exactly the wire assembly part is for the starter. I followed the wires back to the connector and it’s his brown box which I posted a picture of. If I cannot find the part I was wondering can I just connect the wires back together it’s a pretty clean cut.I’m adding pictures to this post so if anybody could help me I would appreciate it. The picture of underneath the seat is pretty messy it was all neat prior to being vandalized and I don’t know what a lot of these parts are so any input and advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
No guts no glory!
36 Posts
So I have a 2001 R6 champions edition bike is mint bought it 3500 mikes well maintained and have always kept up with maintenance. My bike was recently vandalized and had some parts stolen and others destroyed. They cut my brake lines, the switch for my starter, the clutch cables and throttle cables as well as got underneath the seat and stole the power commander and messed with some other stuff. Now I bought this bike already modded with the power commander and a few other things. So I am trying to figure out the best replacement for my power commander. Also trying to figure out what exactly the wire assembly part is for the starter. I followed the wires back to the connector and it’s his brown box which I posted a picture of. If I cannot find the part I was wondering can I just connect the wires back together it’s a pretty clean cut.I’m adding pictures to this post so if anybody could help me I would appreciate it. The picture of underneath the seat is pretty messy it was all neat prior to being vandalized and I don’t know what a lot of these parts are so any input and advice would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 377688 View attachment 377689 View attachment 377690 View attachment 377691
If it was mine I'd solder the wires back together-if there's enough slack in the wiring. The brown box is the connector when replacing the switch assembly-the wires & connector come with the switch-get a used one?
Sorry I don't know about the Power Commander replacement, assuming a new one for your year is no longer available? If you have the stock box get it reflashed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was mine I'd solder the wires back together-if there's enough slack in the wiring. The brown box is the connector when replacing the switch assembly-the wires & connector come with the switch-get a used one?
Sorry I don't know about the Power Commander replacement, assuming a new one for your year is no longer available? If you have the stock box get it reflashed?
so I got the wires back together thank you for the advice I don’t know what you mean by stock box. Can you explain what exactly that is I’m relatively inexperienced in terms of technical know how in regards to motorcycles in gold with my hands but haven’t done a lot of motorcycle work. Replaced my throttle and clutch lines as well as my brake lines and put the wires back together just gotta get the power commander figured out

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
A PowerCommander is for fuel injection. Your bike has carburetors. Not sure why you would have had a PowerCommander.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are worried about getting everything you can out of the bike, slap it up on the dyno and trim in the timing after you do a valve adjustment and a throttle body sync. Forget about whatever secondary controller you had. Just get it done right.

Glad you've got it mostly fixed. You'll get there bud.

Good luck.

·
No guts no glory!
36 Posts
so I got the wires back together thank you for the advice I don’t know what you mean by stock box. Can you explain what exactly that is I’m relatively inexperienced in terms of technical know how in regards to motorcycles in gold with my hands but haven’t done a lot of motorcycle work. Replaced my throttle and clutch lines as well as my brake lines and put the wires back together just gotta get the power commander figured out
What I meant by stock box was the ignition control box (aka CDI box) or electronic control box (aka ECU) which can be reflashed for better performance. I believe Dynojet made Power Commander boxes for our ‘02 & older carbureted bikes, as opposed to reflashing the stock boxes?

As 8Ball posted Power Commanders are also used with later model fuel injected motorcycles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts