Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there brand new member 1st post here my dear friend gave me a 2001 yamaha R6 YZF....he told me it's been sitting for 4 years and last time he drove it believes the fuel pump went out...he said he did do a carb rebuild when he was riding it!..I know I gotta flush everything engine and radiator...what about the trans? Does this thing have Trans fluid lol sorry for the dumb question just not sure I'm looking for a book on this bike that tells me the inns ans outs kinda like a Haines mauel ive never ownd a bike or worked on one but I have worked on many cars and a i am a fabricator so I'm down for a project! Thanks for all the help and the answers in advance!

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Ps: to be honest I'm not even sure what I have here but I have a feeling its something great!! I'm down for any project and love working on things so here we go!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Always good to see another gen1 alive, there are a handful on the forum :)

Engine shares oil with the trans. Have you ever ridden a motorcyle, have a license etc? An r6 is perhaps a fairly dangerous starter bike- misused, it can quickly get you way over your head.

But anyway, its an easy bike to work on. The gen1's are notorious for overheating rectifier/regulators which can burn up the wiring connected to them; definitely something to check. The front forks will certainly benefit from an oil change.

If your prev owner put a stage1 carb kit on w/ that aftermarket can, congratulations :) it really helps the bike. Fuel pump is easy to replace- you should take the tank off to replace the fuel filter and replace the air filter inside the airbox while in there.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,511 Posts
Plugs while tank is off. Oil. Flusg coolant and brakes. Then see about chain tension/wear, tires have 4 numbers in an oval dot required. 0321 means third week 2021. If your tires are xx17 or older, ride easy on them.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
219 Posts
Go through all the fluids (fork oil and seals, rear shock, brakes, oil, coolant, everything). Clean the carbs. Check the valve lash. Do a carb sync. After that, take a read on the plugs.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,447 Posts
Sitting for 4 years, I can almost guarantee you will need to rebuild the carbs. The ethanol laced gas we’ve had to endure for the last decade is not good to carb internals when left sitting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always good to see another gen1 alive, there are a handful on the forum :)

Engine shares oil with the trans. Have you ever ridden a motorcyle, have a license etc? An r6 is perhaps a fairly dangerous starter bike- misused, it can quickly get you way over your head.

But anyway, its an easy bike to work on. The gen1's are notorious for overheating rectifier/regulators which can burn up the wiring connected to them; definitely something to check. The front forks will certainly benefit from an oil change.

If your prev owner put a stage1 carb kit on w/ that aftermarket can, congratulations :) it really helps the bike. Fuel pump is easy to replace- you should take the tank off to replace the fuel filter and replace the air filter inside the airbox while in there.

sorry for just now getting back been working lije crazy a its freezing here in Maryland mountains! yeeeaaarss ago i had gsxr 600 rode it and tried to work on it but had to much issues!!!! i have to go get my licence for MD i will do everything you said and i promise i wont get whiskey throttle! i have been on dirt bikes and atvs since a young boy! but yes thanks for the heads up on getting hurt im definitely scared of it!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plugs while tank is off. Oil. Flusg coolant and brakes. Then see about chain tension/wear, tires have 4 numbers in an oval dot required. 0321 means third week 2021. If your tires are xx17 or older, ride easy on them.
thanks for the reply man i will do!!! and i plan on just buying new tires money really isnt a problem with this project just safety and reliability....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go through all the fluids (fork oil and seals, rear shock, brakes, oil, coolant, everything). Clean the carbs. Check the valve lash. Do a carb sync. After that, take a read on the plugs.

OK i will! I dont really know what where and why about the valve slash but it will definitely check that out thanks for the reply and info!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sitting for 4 years, I can almost guarantee you will need to rebuild the carbs. The ethanol laced gas we’ve had to endure for the last decade is not good to carb internals when left sitting.
i was thinking the same thing my buddy that gave it to me said i wouldnt have to but 4 years!!! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my wife told me im not allowed to drive it with out her! we fell in love on a motorcycle i am an experienced Ryder! Just not a bike mechanic .... i am going to be now it seems i cant wait!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
sorry for just now getting back been working lije crazy a its freezing here in Maryland mountains! yeeeaaarss ago i had gsxr 600 rode it and tried to work on it but had to much issues!!!! i have to go get my licence for MD i will do everything you said and i promise i wont get whiskey throttle! i have been on dirt bikes and atvs since a young boy! but yes thanks for the heads up on getting hurt im definitely scared of it!!
Hey ya, am in Baltimore. I get out that way from time to time, escaping the DC corridor mayhem. Sure do like western MD riding and up into PA. Froze my a$$ off in the mountains riding east from Ohio a few years ago and it was only October lol... must be like Siberia up there now lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts