Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering of anyone could give me some tips or instructions on the install of a stator cover (old one was scratched and wanted the new look again) on a 2001 r6. I know the clymer Manuel has the years as 1999-2004. Any advice would be awesome thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just switched mine out with a polished yana shiki. Looks really good. Tips. Inner bolts have permanent location title on them. You have to heat them up to get it out or else screw will strip. I learned that after the fact. Use rgv or any heat rated silicone around rubber cover where your wires go through case inside cover. No other silicone needed. Some add a little around corners to help hold gasket in place but only put it between cover and gasket. No between gasket and motor. Also be very careful putting cover back on because magnets will pull it on and pinch fingers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man and what did you mean permanent location title? Was it a straightforward process?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just switched mine out with a polished yana shiki. Looks really good. Tips. Inner bolts have permanent location title on them. You have to heat them up to get it out or else screw will strip. I learned that after the fact. Use rgv or any heat rated silicone around rubber cover where your wires go through case inside cover. No other silicone needed. Some add a little around corners to help hold gasket in place but only put it between cover and gasket. No between gasket and motor. Also be very careful putting cover back on because magnets will pull it on and pinch fingers.
do you think youd be able to give me somewhat brief instructions?

·
Registered
139 Posts
do you have to drain the oil to remove the cover?
Yes.

And don't forget about the permanent lok tite on the screws inside the cover. They must be heated up really good to get them to break loose.

Also the magnets hold the cover on really tight so you gotta pull on it pretty good to break it loose. When you reinstall keep fingers out of the way because magnets will suck it on very fast and with force. Fingertips could go through a new level of pain.

I used a little bit of high temp gasket sealer to hold gasket on the cover to keep it in place as you slowly put cover in place.

Lastly buy an oem stator. I went with a cheap one and have been lucky so far but too many stories of regulators and connecting harness going bad from these knockoffs. I do notice the lights flickering now with the knockoff vs the oem. Plus this isn't a job you want to have to repeat for a while (at least I don't )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts