Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We changed the killswitch on the bike, and everything was fine. Then, a few weeks later we decided to change the cracked battery box. Upon re-installing everything onto the battery box, the bike won't start. When we turn the key on the dash lights come on, but the fuel injection does not prime, the headlights don't work, the horn doesn't work, and the push button start does nothing. Any tips for troubleshooting or ideas of what the problem could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dead battery. Assuming everything was wired up correctly again it just a bad battery. Buy a cheap voltmeter and test it or get a new or already known working battery to test. Doesn't take much of a difference in charge to start one week and not start a few weeks later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery was brand new, but I'll be picking up a voltmeter tomorrow to cover all my bases. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The battery was brand new, but I'll be picking up a voltmeter tomorrow to cover all my bases. Thanks for the tip.
It can still happen. Or if it is brand new out of the box it may not have ever been fully charged to begin with. Check the charge and see what it shows. That will tell you one way or the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery is right around 12v, but doing some troubleshooting I noticed one of the wires leading to the rectifier was exposed, and that corresponding prong in the connector/rectifier itself was burnt up. Could this cause the problem, or will it just lead to battery problems once I get it back up and running?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Battery is right around 12v, but doing some troubleshooting I noticed one of the wires leading to the rectifier was exposed, and that corresponding prong in the connector/rectifier itself was burnt up. Could this cause the problem, or will it just lead to battery problems once I get it back up and running?
That is your problem. The 1st gens often have that issue

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
It could go either way. There's not really enough info to determine at this point. Check the fuses. You may have caused a short and simply blown one.

Focus on getting all those parts to come on and get the engine running. Then do the charging system tests. But the battery needs to be charged up to do so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just bought and installed a new rectifier, and the problem persists. I want to think that there could be something wrong with the kill switch we replaced (a shorted wire possibly?) but would that explain why the horn and headlights don't work? Also something I noticed is that the low gas light on the cluster flashes, but there is most definitely a full tank (I filled it up before I brought it home the last time it ran). Hopefully some of these symptoms sound familiar and someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Yea, it definitely could be a short. Unfortunately, I think you just need to sit down with a multimeter and wiring diagram and start tracing connections and measuring voltages. It can be a very time consuming process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts