Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I ride a 2001 R6, and have been told by many guys, a lot more experienced than me, to install a steering damper, as this will greatly help in the stability of the bike....

I kinda like the raw control as it is, and have experienced a couple of tankslappers, and have managed to rectify them... But I'm taking heed from guys who have obviously experienced this...

Anyways, I was wondering if a 2003 steering damper would fit my 2001? I have been offered an Ohlins, with a 'universal' kit (apparently)....

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Pascoe.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Hey guys,

I ride a 2001 R6, and have been told by many guys, a lot more experienced than me, to install a steering damper, as this will greatly help in the stability of the bike....

I kinda like the raw control as it is, and have experienced a couple of tankslappers, and have managed to rectify them... But I'm taking heed from guys who have obviously experienced this...

Anyways, I was wondering if a 2003 steering damper would fit my 2001? I have been offered an Ohlins, with a 'universal' kit (apparently)....

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Pascoe.
You will most likely have to drill into the frame. I think the scotts damper for that bike doesn't require drilling at all.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. It's not that bad on that bike if your suspension is setup properly. In the 8000+ miles I did on my 02, I've never had any balls out head shake. A little here and there is to be expected.

I lowered the front of the bike 10mm after putting on the 70 series front tire. The 10-12 mm was a recommendation from many.. The bike is night and day. You really have to want to get into a tank slapper now on my bike.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I put a Toby damper on my bike and it helps a lot when bringing the bike down after a wheelie. Haighway riding is also better, I get less of a shake on the handbars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts