Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions & or Suggestions please.

I was going to buy a 2002 R6 and a buddy of mine wants to sell his 2003 R6. However, I just found out today that my neighbor wants to step up to a R1 and is willing to sell me his 2001 Blue VERY clean R6. For the most part its stock except for a MIG slip on and polished wheels. He's an older guy (mid 30's) and never raced it and doesnt even how to do a wheelie. Anyhow....is the 2001 R6 a good bike ? or should I still keep an eye out for a 2002 and up ?? Mind you this is my first bike and this 01 is VERY clean.

Please no comments on why Im getting a R6 as my first bike...Ive heard enough about staring on a 250cc.

What Im looking for is expierenced advice or review / comments on what you guys feel about a 2001 R6.

Thanks !!!

:stupic

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to the club of newbies wanting an R6! Im in the same boat but looking to buy new. There's nothing wrong and you shouldnt get flamed for looking for a 600cc bike to start on, its all about respect and riding smart and safe. With that said, welcome! :mrgreen:

From what I have heard the '01 R6 is a good bike. Its carburated and wont get quit the milage of the fuel injected ones but havent heard anything bad about them. Good luck with your purchase and be sure to take pics when you get either that bike or any other one.

Later, R6Speedfreak

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an '01 and I really love it. If you're gonna ride sane, its a great bike. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants to stunt or abuse it because of the well-known 2nd gear 'problems' from 99-02. If your neighbor has ridden it gently and has good shifting technique then the bike shouldn't have any troubles. I would never buy a used 99-02 if I didn't know how it had been ridden before.

99-00 are very similar and 01-02 are very similar in styling. Since its your first bike, I would recommend thinking used because lets face it, bikes fall over, and they fall over more when they are owned by newbs (i know, i've been riding for a year now and I've had some terrifyingly close-drops). I got most of my 'oops'es out of the way on an old GS500 for 4 months, then I went used instead of new with the R6 so it wouldn't sting so badly when I finally put it down...so far I've defied the odds :mrgreen:

The 2001 has 100 hp, sweet LED tail lights, and the best styling/ergos of any 600cc bike on the road... why WOULDN'T you want to buy that bike?!?!?! :cheers

This is a great list of what to look for in a used bike.. I think it might be helpful. http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

btw, how much are these respective bikes going for?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well the 2001 R6 IS the fastest R6 ever produced--contrary to the miscnception that the liquid silver paint contains teflon additives.

I happen to have one of these incredible macheens myself...

how i bought it and now....

Great First Bike!!

as long as you dont act like an ass, but instead, take the time to learn how to ride it.

These bikes are notorious for trouble with second gear. Mine pops out occasionally when i shift hard into second without the clutch. In order to minimize the risk of this happening, dont beat on it, and use the clutch when shifting into second gear.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The blue 01 R6 IS the fastest R6 ever produced**...

**This is based on nothing more than the fact that the blue 01 R6 is the one that I ride...If I owned an 04....then the 04 would in fact, be....the fastest one....

I hope this clears up any confusion....

·
Registered
222 Posts
kv1guy said:
Umm..I never heard bout a 2nd gear issue...I have a '99 so clue me in!
Some R6 owners have reported problems with 2nd gear slipping out due to premature wear of the drive dogs on the gear. Yamaha denies that it is a design/manufacturing flaw, but they added two additional dogs to the 03 design. Basically, I think they didn't want to hear any more griping.

If your technique sucks or you are riding like a psycho and missing/grinding second gear alot, you can wear the dogs down and the bike will start slipping out of gear. Believe me, I'm not trying to talk you out of the R6, its an AWESOME bike. Any chuckle-head can grind the gears on any bike, so its good to know how a used bike was treated regardless of the make/model.

Its not generally a problem IF you shift like you mean it and don't miss the gear alot. So if you are buying a bike with thousands of miles on it, its best to know who rode it and how they treated it. I just thought you would want to be able to make the most informed decision you can about it. The topic has been covered many times on discussion boards... search around and you'll get a feel for it.

Others may disagree with me, but I like to err on the side of caution.

JMHO

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback.

I appreciate the info on second gear, that is new news to me. I know that my neighbor (seller of bike) pampered his bike. Again he doenst even know how to do tricks and rides very modestly. Its a very clean 01 with 4800k miles, I believe thats low for an 01 ? Anyhow, since I know the care he's taken with the bike I may as well get that one instead of a used 02 from the dealer right down the street.

Thanks dude !!

He's asking $5,500
-O1 Blue/White Yamaha R6 (mint) / 4800K miles
-Polished wheels
-Custom rear turn signals
-License plate fender eliminator
-Steering Dampner
-MIG slip on
-Matching Yamaha leather jacket (1 size to small for me)

So is that a good deal, or is there any room to play ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
THIS IS WHAT YOU WOULD PAY if you bought from a dealer (at least in Pennsylvania).

In PA, the Retail book value is 6000 and the Trade book value is 4000. I would suspect if anyting they would be a few hundred bucks higher in MD where the cost of living borders on opressive. Somewhere between these two numbers is where your transaction should land. If the bike is totally cherry with low miles, nice mods, big chicken-strips, clean and problem fee, then 5500 is a fair price IMO, but lowballing his price by a few hundred couldn't hurt. If he doesn't go for it, I'd still pay 5500 :mrgreen: .

Last fall I paid 5600 for my 01 with 7k miles on it. I haven't regretted it for a second :cheers

BTW, I may have asked this before, but where in MD are you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vtlion,

Thanks for the insight....I sent you a PM about my area. Im in Germantown MD which is between Gaithersburg and Fredrick.

Bethesda-->Rockville-->Gaithersburg-->Germantown-->Fredrick.

Again, this is my first bike so you can imagine Im excited and I just dont want to start off on the wrong foot with getting ripped off or anything. I can honestly say that this guy has lived next to me for 3 years now and he really take care of his cars and his R6, so I dont doubt it being clean. Plus I was in his garage for like almost 2 hours looking and talking about the bike. He doesnt have the bike out ther for sale but since he heard my yapping about getting an R6 for weeks now, he was like dude if you want mine I will sell it to you, but you dont buy it I will keep it and teach you how to ride on whatever you get. I got him wanting an R1 now...hehehe.

It already has a sterring dampner on it...not sure the make...but I may want to upgrade it to a Scotts Dampner...any feelings on that ?

:roll:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my red 00 r6 for 4000. but it did have almost 14k on it at the time. and the dude dropped it going about 15mph so it has a couple nickle size scratches. I still love it though. Id say go for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I say GO FOR IT!!!! I too bought an 01 R6 for $5k, but with 12,500 miles on it. I also have experienced the 2nd gear popping out. It's when I'm pushing it real hard! Like drag racing! The previous owner I regret to say dogged the bike. I've had the bike for a year and a half now, and I've got 27k on it now! I'm easier on shifting, so it doesn't pop out. It's a great commuter and still running very strong! You won't be dissappointed!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
jasamb said:
Well the 2001 R6 IS the fastest R6 ever produced--contrary to the miscnception that the liquid silver paint contains teflon additives.

I happen to have one of these incredible macheens myself...
you never learn do you? Your macheeeeeeen takes a distant second to the gravity defying, zero CD having macheeeeen that is the liquid silver '03! Oh, btw, I coated my tires with teflon to for less roll resistance.......100mpg now easy........

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
id pay a grand more and go with the 03 its phatter looking and fuel injected, i got close to 10k miles on mine and i stunt every time i ride it, runs beautiful, 03 r6 4L

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Get what you want...If you want the 01 get it but I personally would pay the extra grand and get the 03. It's definately the meanest looking 600 ever. the front ends on the 03's and 04's are just nasty looking. I LOVE 'EM... :drink

ONE LUV

1 - 20 of 26 Posts