Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Brum brummmm
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about changing my sprockets this summer on my 02 r6. The ones I have now are stock and I'm interested in going -1 +2. I was wondering what kind of a difference it makes (pros and cons), will it make it easier to get the front wheel off the ground? And what are good brands of sprockets that won't run me broke? Thanks!

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
It will give you a little more acceleration and make the front end come up easier. It is going to be geared roughly 10% lower after the change.

As for the sprockets, I couldnt tell you. I use a supersprox rear and vortex front with an EK MVXZ 520 pitch chain and am more than happy with that setup. I wouldn't really worry about the weight savings of aluminum sprockets. They just wear out quicker, and don't really do much for you unless you are one of the more skilled racers at the track.

I wouldn't cheap out on getting a good set of sprockets and a good chain. Not sure if you have ever seen what happens when a chain fails, but it isn't pretty. A good set will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $150-200. Since the supersprox rear is overpriced at most retailers, i will let someone else chime in on what a good steel rear is. I am happy with my vortex front and would buy it again. Same with the chain.

The guy from motomummy will probably pop in here real soon to help you out a lot more than i can.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts