Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cant find capacities or best weight of oil to use anywhere, everyone has their own opinion on the oil weight but no where shows the amount? i was also wondering would lucas fork oil work well? i can get it at my local canadian tire in any weight so i got some 5w.. any input is much appreciated, getting ready to tear my bike down for a frame swap and fork seals next days off

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
cant find capacities or best weight of oil to use anywhere, everyone has their own opinion on the oil weight but no where shows the amount? i was also wondering would lucas fork oil work well? i can get it at my local canadian tire in any weight so i got some 5w.. any input is much appreciated, getting ready to tear my bike down for a frame swap and fork seals next days off

you can start by dumping the leg into a clean pan. See what comes out. If they are standard forks (no carts or special valving)... it wont be hard to figure out the amount/level.
Make sure you clean them out really well.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
It's supposed to be a 0wt oil, but light 5wt or 2.5wt can use (I run a synthetic racing 2.5wt for people with OEM valving). The ports on the OEM valving are very small, so using to heavy a wt can result in damping issues that may not be adjustable with the clickers.

As far as oil level, Yamaha recommends 107mm from the top of the fork tube. This is measured with the tubes collapsed, cap, spring and spacer removed. I usually run between 120 and 110mm, depending on rider and desired bottoming resistance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's supposed to be a 0wt oil, but light 5wt or 2.5wt can use (I run a synthetic racing 2.5wt for people with OEM valving). The ports on the OEM valving are very small, so using to heavy a wt can result in damping issues that may not be adjustable with the clickers.

As far as oil level, Yamaha recommends 107mm from the top of the fork tube. This is measured with the tubes collapsed, cap, spring and spacer removed. I usually run between 120 and 110mm, depending on rider and desired bottoming resistance.

Thank you that's exactly what I needed. I'm about 160-165lbs with the 5x5.5 what would you recommend probably 110mm?

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
Thank you that's exactly what I needed. I'm about 160-165lbs with the 5x5.5 what would you recommend probably 110mm?
Without knowing sag, braking habits, travel used, type of riding/racing; the best I could say would be the 107mm the service manual calls for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts