Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
High folks. I'm new here and to R6s in general. I'm trying to fix my sons R6 for him. He parked it three years ago. There are a great many hings needing work but right now I won't to get it running. I put a new battery in and when I press the start it will run for three or four seconds and die. My son said it was sensitive to the choke position. I discovered the choke slide on the carb assembly was frozen so I reed that and the choke now appears to work. I was wondering if you experts could advise me where to look next. My son used to start it and let it run years ago before the battery died so I'm thinking it's corroded or the result of just sitting. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated or if there is a FAQ I'm overlooking please advise.

Oh and I forgot to mention I emptied the tank and put new gas in but I suspect the bowls still have old gas. That looked like a lot of work to get to the bowls.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thank you I did drain and put new gas in the tank. But the carb bowls likely have old gas in them. Would that keep it from starting?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
The gas in the carbs has, likely, turned to varnish and plugged up all the passages in the jets and emulsion tubes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thank you. So do the carbs need to come out for me to clean all the varnish and get at the jets? How big a job is removing the carbs? Looks pretty menacing.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
It's not a huge amount of work to pull the carbs. The gas tank and airbox will need to come off though, and if you've never done it on a bike it'll be a little bit fiddly to disconnect all the hoses and remember where everything goes. It's the sort of thing that might take 2 hours the first time, and 20 minutes every time after that. :)

Cleaning the carbs isn't bad, you just have to keep track of the jet positions (how many turns out they are) so you can put it back together with the same settings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok then. I will pull the carbs and clean them tomorrow then I've done quad carbs on old cb750s but this r6 is new to me. Anything else I should be looking at once it's apart?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Pull the slides out of the tops, and check to be sure there are no pin holes in the diaphragms. There are also tiny brass jets (or orifices)that sit in the edge of each diaphragm that like to get clogged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I will do that next. I'm in the middle of cleaning the idle/pilot jets and main jets now that were completely clogged by the way. I have a small tool with pins for cleaning jets and emulsifier tube holes. The main jet emulsifier tube doesn't seem to go all the way through from the main jet. Is this true? How does fuel get to the small emulsifier holes at the very top then from the main jet? doesn't seem clogged. Seems hard blocked

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Yeah, that's correct. The needle doesn't go into the emulsion tube, like most CV carbs. It goes into a passage that hits the emulsion tube passage at an angle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OK thx. Got the carbs cleans. The main jets and pilots were clogged and the bowls pretty icky. I also pulled the diaphragms and the needles were also gunked at their ends. A real mess. Also blew out all the jets under the diaphragms with compressed air. So putting it back together now, The choke mechanism was not working at all. I got it working but don't know how long it will last. Don't care for the design much. Oh and I have an extra part. I found this on the towel covering the head after blowing out the #3 carb after I pulled the diaphram. Any suggestions what it might be. Part of the carb or part of the choke mechanism? ( http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/m...ject/IMG_2199_zpse7df3633.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0)

Oh and how in the world do you tighten those carb straps underneath the carbs once the carbs are back on????

Oh and I didn't do the pilot screw or the starter plunger. Do the carbs have to be separated to do them?

·
Registered
175 Posts
tighten with 3 mm allen wrench, very hard to see use a small light and allen end on a 1/4 inch extension. # 4 in take screw you can see between those black side panels on the frame that have to be removed. Dont go crazy they are there but hard to see. They are in front of the carbs except for #4.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The pilot screws sit in the float bowls so you do not have separating the carbs , they are next to the main jet and have a slot in them to use a flat head to screw them out

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
The pilot screws sit in the float bowls so you do not have separating the carbs , they are next to the main jet and have a slot in them to use a flat head to screw them out
Are you talking about the pilot jets?! The pilot screws are on the outside of the carb bowls (in a little notch at the front of the bowl). They should be under a cap that the OEM put on them so they don't get tampered with, but Chris is correct that you should clean them out. Just take not of how many turns out they are from fully turned in. Item 16 in the attached pic is the pilot screw/needle, and item 25 is the cap.

The caps (if they are still there) will need to be drilled (CAREFULLY. You just want to pierce the cap, not the pilot screw underneath) with a small drill. Screw a sheet metal screw in the hole, and use a pair of pliers to pull on the screw to pull off the caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK I understand. I actually saw a utube video on this but didn't pay any attention to it at the time but now I can't find it. But I understand what needs to be done and I'll let you know what they look like. Besides the screw and spring, there's a couple other things down that hole at it's bottom. what are they? And can I blow out that hole without taking the diaphragm cap off?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
They are on the bottom of the carb next to the float bowl, not the top. So, the diaphragm cap does not need to be removed. The other two items on the drawing are o-rings that are on the screw/needle. As long as they are not deteriorates or damaged, you should not need to replace them. The best way to clean out the passage, would be to remove the pilot jets and the pilot screw and blow out the passage with cleaner by shooting it down the pilot jet passage. Cleaner shoud come out the hole that the pilot screw goes in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts