Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 yzf r6 currently is starting to jerk in 2nd gear I looked up some videos & other threads on the r6 issue I know what could be wrong but the problem truly is on a 2002 do I have to take apart the entire engine just to get to the gears or can I just separate it easily? Hard to find any information on such a old bike thank you in advance

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,582 Posts
The common 2nd gear issue on the 99-02 bikes was that it popped out of gear under acceleration. I’m not sure what you mean by “jerking”. But if it is popping out of gear, then yes, the engine has to be removed and the cases split apart the access the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerking as in it’ll be smooth lose power for a second than power comes back also like the tires slipping but it isn’t. And okay I saw some where you could just take the trans case off where you didn’t have to actually completely take apart the engine than others you did but looks like I’ll be riding until second gear leaves the chat completely 🥹

·
Registered
Everything you need to know is in the Service Manual !
177 Posts
Jerking as in it’ll be smooth lose power for a second than power comes back also like the tires slipping but it isn’t. And okay I saw some where you could just take the trans case off where you didn’t have to actually completely take apart the engine than others you did but looks like I’ll be riding until second gear leaves the chat completely 🥹
If it is your transmission it’s almost certainly your shift fork. I had to replace one on a yzf600r ( thundercat ) Very common problem with them is 2nd and 6th gear going out. The guy rode with no second gear for years before I fixed it, and it is not an easy job splitting the case. Highly recommended a shop over DIY

·
Registered
177 Posts
This only happens in second gear? What you're describing sounds like a carb/fuel or clutch problem.
Definitely make sure it’s not just your clutch slipping first. Second gear has a lot of torque and you’ll notice slipping a lot easier. Ride the bike in 5th gear at low rpm’s like 2-3,000rpm then roll on the throttle hard. You should feel no “jerkiness” or hesitation as it climbs rpm’s.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
210 Posts
If the 2002 R6 transmission is anything like the YZF600R trans....
Thundercats had a very notorious problem - the shift forks would get stuck in the ridges on the shift cylinder, and then half-assed shifts would cause the dog teeth to round off, and from there on, it's a downward spiral. You'd have to replace 2nd, 5th, shift shaft, shift fork, and grooved shift cylinder. 2nd gear meshes with 5th, so both need to be replaced. And yes, the whole engine would come off the frame, heads out, cylinders out, crank case split. Vashtsdaytona has elaborate videos on YouTube, even if they're not identical to R6, they're worth watching for educational purposes.

I still have those damaged cogs and shafts stored nicely in a box. Not sure why, but I don't have the heart to throw them away.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If the 2002 R6 transmission is anything like the YZF600R trans....
Thundercats had a very notorious problem - the shift forks would get stuck in the ridges on the shift cylinder, and then half-assed shifts would cause the dog teeth to round off, and from there on, it's a downward spiral. You'd have to replace 2nd, 5th, shift shaft, shift fork, and grooved shift cylinder. 2nd gear meshes with 5th, so both need to be replaced. And yes, the whole engine would come off the frame, heads out, cylinders out, crank case split. Vashtsdaytona has elaborate videos on YouTube, even if they're not identical to R6, they're worth watching for educational purposes.

I still have those damaged cogs and shafts stored nicely in a box. Not sure why, but I don't have the heart to throw them away.
Very well explained

1 - 8 of 8 Posts